1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woke and shaved - Gillette ad and the people who hate it.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Iron_chet, Jan 15, 2019.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Have an awesome gf these days and have for about a year. We’ve been good at deprogramming each other after the divorces.

We both have our weak points and I see hers. Fortunately, they’re not about money, alcohol, prescription meds or comparing herself to other women in her FB circle.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You're fine. I don't quite agree with your hypothetical - I tend to think women hold themselves, via advertising, to almost laughably unattainable standards - but your attempt to actually discuss the issue at hand merely offended the picture posting campaign. Glibness and smugery are beginning to reach all-time levels on this site.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry to offend anyone who somehow believes men are social, political or cultural underdogs.

The "picture posting campaign" is simply meant to point out the monetization of men's insecurity in modern advertising. Now in its second hundred years.

The real snake-oil salesman is Jordan Peterson.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    OscarMadison likes this.
  5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

JBP is hardly alone in that, to be fair. He's just proven more adept than most at monetizing it in the current market, clearing $60k a month on Patreon at one point (on top of being a tenured professor).

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

True.

But "12 Rules For Life" is the piezoelectric stimulator belt of our time.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not offended. And I don't think men are any of those things.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I definitely had a MAGA friend immediately posit that it was obviously a Gillette employee who was so incensed about the ad that he decided to flush the razor in a Gillette factory toilet, quit his job, and allow some janitorial employee to pull the razor out of the toilet.

9. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I find this interesting becuase it sounds like, at least based on your post, you see yourself as a pretty good man/father (however one chooses to define that). But you individually also feel targeted by the ad. Not that a razor commercial telling you what to do should matter, but it sounds like you already do the things, give or take.

But it seems like there’s something burried inside us to want to feel put upon by this sort of thing. Is the ad actually speaking to your parenting? Or is something about being told what to do just being internalized in an uncomfortable way?

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't wanna speak for anybody, but the ad strikes some as virtue signalling.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This one is a non-issue for me. I really don't give a shit about a TV commercial attempting to judge me or put my/our parenting in a box. I have a beard and periodically scrape my cheeks, so my razor consumption is minimal anyhow.

12. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

It is. That is a thing that it is, virtue signaling as a ploy to sell razors.

But just attaching a buzzword to it doesn’t make it any less interesting to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted