1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sears

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 8, 2019.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We have higher-end grocery stores (Harris Teeter) and lower-end (Food Lion). Each has loyalty cards. We also have Publix, which has no loyalty card.

There is almost no reason to go the extra distance to the higher-end (with higher prices store) EXCEPT their "buy 2, get THREE free" promotions. Which we only know about through their Wednesday newspaper inserts.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And, in many places, even the inserts are pdf'ed and put on the paper's web site. At least the paper gets the hits.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Kind of an adjunct to the decline of newspaper advertising, I'm still amazed the colleges and universities get away with textbook prices and especially surprised that a lot of these "cutting edge" universities haven't figured out a way to lease books by the semester via a download or access to the text. Textbooks could be updated easily as needed. I'm surprised some students today even know how to use books.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

From what I've read, much of that comes from the publishers. A new textbook has one, maybe two years before there are enough copies on the secondhand market that demand for new copies all but dries up. Unless a work is particularly seminal or timeless (a la Greg Mankiw's economics textbooks), publishers feel a need to make as much as possible up front.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Many of my students rent e-books. That said, nearly all of them prefer a hardcopy book over an electronic copy. This despite the massive price difference.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I used to produce textbooks as a side business; we'd custom publish them. I'd have college professors who wanted to do their own books, and we'd produce the books for them. They'd often convince a few of their peers at other colleges to use the book, but on the whole, you were talking about a tiny market for the books. The price of each book had to be pretty high for it to be a worthwhile business for us. What made it work is that the students are a captive audience. They have to buy what their teacher tells them to buy, and few are going to not take the course because of the book, so demand is pretty inelastic. And so the books would be expensive. For the most part, it was a vanity thing for the teacher. He or she wasn't making anything on the books we did. What they wanted was to see their name on a book, put it on their CV. We got paid up front either way, so we didn't care what they did with the books. Like what Trooper was saying, on many of those books, we'd do an update every few years. It kept the captive audience on the hook.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Baby MMSW was part of a dual enrollment program while in high school, funded by state money and corporate donations. She graduated high school with two years worth of credits and a bookshelf full of books — all free. She ended up flipping all the books on Amazon for about $400. Her and her classmates are about the only kids who made money by going to high school.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I made money going to high school.

But only because there was a great market for fake IDs, and I had access to some quality repro at my newspaper!

Edit: I've just realized I probably made more doing that than I did editing the damn thing two years later.

HanSenSE and sgreenwell like this.
  9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

When I lived in the D.C, area the high end grocery store was Giant. I still get a weekly e-mail from that with the promotions. Harris-Teeter does not do the same thing?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  10. BTExpress

They might have something if you asked for it.

I don't remember what information I had to give when signing up for my loyalty card. But I've never received an e-mail from Harris Teeter.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

HT has VIC and e-VIC.

12. BTExpress

Every time we shop at HT we wind up saying, "Eh, we'll just stop at Food Lion on the way home to buy that" on about a half-dozen overpriced items.

Draft saved Draft deleted