1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going paywall...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Jan 17, 2019.

1. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Not sure, I'm not high enough in the food chain to have access to that info. I don't believe it hurt, however. Social media engagement seems far better than it was. And I don't have to copy my articles over to my personal blog in order to share them with people, which is nice.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Fair enough.
    Wut? one market? I ain’t subscribing to the New Yorker for its sports coverage. They have correspondents all over the world.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I'm not paying The Athletic for shit. I can get free news almost anywhere on the web. I don't give a fuck if they use fancier words or not. Paying for news in 2019 is retarded. It's everywhere. It's free. It's a new world baby.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Cool.

5. Pony_Express

Pony_Express Member

The Athletic provides great content and it is well worth the price. Not sure all the cursing is needed but you must feel passionately about not subscribing to it.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The blue font means sarcasm on this here board. Now take a lap and bring 'em a beer on your way back, then take a knee and rub some dirt on it.

JRoyal, PaperClip529 and HanSenSE like this.
  7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

It is hard for me to imagine anybody paying for content anywhere in 2019. The suits trained the world to expect online news for free. I'm sure 'readers' do not need to pay for content and still know everything they need to know about their teams. This one is the suits' fault. How can you ask people to pay now after conditioning them for over a decade they can read for free?

Bud_Bundy likes this.
  8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Exactly. Maybe if they'd been smart enough to charge for their content 25 years ago when the Internet started building an audience. But in 2019? No way am I paying for shit. It's everywhere for free. Hell, I'll just backdoor a few websites or google what I'm interested in. I'll find it somewhere and it won't cost a nickel.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Other than the fact millions of people do, it is hard to imagine.

sgreenwell and Tweener like this.
  10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Don't want to offend anyone here who may still work at the Star Ledger, but it is now $1.50 Mon-Fri, $2.00 on Saturday and $3.00 on
    Sunday, Can't swear to it, but pretty sure it didn't go to 50 cents until the late 90s early 00s. Fifteen years ago the paper also was a lot bigger.
    I have a few buddies who coach hs sports and I still follow a few hs sports. The Ledger used to have results from at least 50 games on Sundays
    with game stories from several. Now most Sundays there's maybe one game story per sport.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Why do they do it? No reason to. The suits made the decision when newspapers started their websites and there's no reason to pay.

12. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

The lack of foresight in some of these responses is just staggering.

Draft saved Draft deleted