1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woke and shaved - Gillette ad and the people who hate it.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Iron_chet, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

"Because my balls are too big, mom."

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It wasn't really that, just they were getting pinched at the wrong time.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Is there a right time? I say no.

expendable likes this.
  4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

They still sell that stuff here in New England. My first year here, my roommate and I were picking up groceries. I saw it on the shelf and said let's try this (I'd never heard of it). He warned me that it was terrible. I asked how bad it could be -- it's just pop. He said trust me. It was just about the worst stuff I've ever tasted.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

the Splinter disagrees

82516b451c0cb6c0b94ba34ae56af478--baseball-art-baseball-stuff.jpg

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

gillette.jpg Does this photo invalidate Gillette's argument?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Only if your standard for argument is that of a Reddit shitposter more interested in pwnage than dialogue. Did you happen to notice the bullied kid and his pursuers busting through a shot of one of Gillette's old commercials? That's a not-so-subtle sign Gillette is aware of -- and engaging with -- its own branding history and alleged hypocrisy, holding itself to the standard to which it's asking men to hold themselves and their fellow men.

People change, and societal norms (however slowly) change with them. Corporations -- which are people, too, my friend -- are equally capable of change*. Unless this is all a nefarious plot and the Gillette board was surreptitiously overthrown by a cabal of CRAZED SJWS whom Ben Shapiro neglectfully forgot to break on the Wheel of Logic (TM), odds are good Gillette did the calculations and concluded that there was more to gain economically and socially by having its brand associated with pro-social masculinity. Whether or not this is 'performative wokeness' driven solely by profit-seeking, the salutary effects on our national conversation and norms likely outweigh any impurities in Gillette's motives.

* = If they're not, then the likes of Volkswagen, Hugo Boss, and IBM have a lot of 'splaining to do.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted