1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital First pursuing Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Preparest thy bootyhole!

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

One in my area has a Division I college, a Double-A baseball team, a D-II college, 2 PGA Tour events and about 130 high schools in the coverage area. They have 1 sports full timer and nothing else. Not even a sports clerk.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

This is a Gannett paper?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If you have a D1 university in your town or area and a lot of your readers are either alums or staffers of said school - you should cover them well. At least as well as the closest pro teams that people root for.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I suppose, but . . .

Most magazine stories demand that readers turn the page (or several of them).
    All books demand that readers turn hundreds of them.

Newspaper jumps are not exactly a uniquely frustrating experience.

6. DanOregon

Especially now when readers aren't going to have to hunt through a 32-page A section for the jump page. Most of the interior crud I see in newspaper sections, long wire pieces devoide of meaning to the local area. I do wonder if design hubs has heightened the bias against jumps - particularly if you have multiple designers for a section and/or the earlier deadline (usually) for interior pages.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

The Gannett paper I was at, briefly, adhered to the rule that one of its A1 stories wouldn’t jump. A new, fully Gannetized editor came in and things flipped. A few 15 inch stories out front, and one jumped. In fairness, this was 1999-2000. Obviously, things changed.

It did get me thinking about how to better serve readers. While they may not know that they hate jumps, it is asking the reader to take a step. So when I called the shots further along in my career, I designed the paper so that stories would jump from the front to the back when possible, and we’d never jump less than 4 inches or so. Not that we’d hack stories to fit a no-jump rule, but I thought it was silly to ask readers to flip pages just for a couple paragraphs. Jumping to the same spread also made the plateroom happy and bought me some time on deadline.

8. DanOregon

I'd figure advertisers would want to be on a page where all the stories jump to.

9. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

A combined DFM/Gannett makes sense in NJ. DFM's Trentonian (less than 10K circ) could be closed and its building sold off. The other 6 NJ papers would lose their individual titles and be converted to a "NJ Today" statewide paper. The smaller papers now are down to one sportwriter and DFM/Gannett would have a combined sports staff that would better cover the NYC/Philly sports teams. I'd rather see a DFM/Gannett byline than AP copy covering last night's ballgame.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Yes.

11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I think if that idea made sense, the Star Ledger would have made a combined statewide paper by now. The difference between North Jersey and South Jersey seems like the difference between New York City and the Delmarva Peninsula.

I might be wrong but I think the Bergen Record shares more non-state government news with the Journal News in New York than it does the Asbury Park Press.

12. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

You’re right about The Record. The Star Ledgers sister paper, The Trenton Times, has been gutted to the extreme. If it has more than 5 editorial staff, I’d be shocked. The TT used to have enough sportswriters to send staff to Philly and NYC baseball games. But those days are long long gone.

Draft saved Draft deleted