1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI is down to just 38 issues this year

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 16, 2017.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Back up to 39 issues a year

https://www.bonan.com/listings/Spor...MI0PSC_smG2gIVl8DICh0A3AxGEAYYAiABEgJZKvD_BwE

web site i've done surveys on for about 10 years gives points to redeem for restaurant gift certificates, airline miles, discounts at some retail stores, mag
    subscriptions and other discounts. got a year of SI and Golf Mag (12 issues) for the equivalent of $45 in rewards points.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My guess is the move has more to do with the potential change in ownership. I'm pretty sure (at least lately) all of the shots are in the can by the previous October (unless they try and be more topical like with the MeToo stuff) Also - I really don't think women look to buy any of the "suits" featured in the mag. At least publishing it in Feb. allows for people who "hope" to get into a bikini time to get in that kind of shape.
    The whole point of the thing was showing people warm places when it's freaking cold everywhere else.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

exactly. It's the dead zone of the sports calendar, that's what made it unique. Whatever, the publication is already doomed.

5. DanOregon

The other thing, they promo the hell out of the thing with various ad friendly events - it has its own division within the mag. Seems a little late to announce something that was due out in a month.
    I realize late Jan. early Feb. is jammed with stuff with the Oscars moving up, the Grammys, the Super Bowl, NBA All-Star Game etc. - I just don't think this has anything to do with being able to shoot later or coming out during bikini season.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't understand the whole "we want to shoot in different places" thing.
    1) It's always summer somewhere.
    2) Plan ahead.
    3) They've done shoots in Alaska and Antarctica for God's sake.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Like watching the Pebble Beach pro-am in February after I shovel my sidewalk. The issue's a relic anyway, but saying they're moving it to swimsuit-buying season is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Um, no it wasn't.

9. DanOregon

"The next January, Laguerre ran what can be called the original swim-suit issue. Still, while there was a genuine bathing beauty, a model named Babette (page 59), on the cover, sex remained subsidiary to travel, and the reader had to wade through 13 pages of snorkeling, including a story entitled "A Fish Watcher's Guide to the Caribbean," to find five pages of women in modest suits." (DeFord - "How It All Began" SI.)

We can quibble on the intent, yes Feb. was a slow sports month, but there was a reason they travelled to beaches instead of just shooting it in some studio.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What’s the deal with a sale? Any potential buyers whose names are public?

11. DanOregon

It's the only former Time property Merideth has "designated for assignment" and hasn't yet unloaded. It is going to be tough - all of their leading competitors are cable/TV sports sites who wouldn't know what to do with a print product.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I just got an offer to restart my subscription for $20 for 1 year and $30 for two. Should I do it? Before I stopped I didn't even open most issues, failing to make time to do so.

But much like my local newspaper, I want to support the product unless it becomes cost prohibitive.

Draft saved Draft deleted