1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classic albums?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I find a quarter of the White Album unlistenable (including "Wild Honey Pie" being just behind Wings' "Wonderful Christmas Time" for my least favorite song ever recorded along with Ob La Di, Bungalow Bill, and Revolution 9 all making my skin crawl), which means I rate it far below Revolver, Rubber Soul, St. Pepper's, Abbey Road and even Let It Be.

I am an outlier in this respect, but there are silly, stupid decisions that were made on that album that really brings it down in my estimation.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Still remember the first time I heard Baba O'Riley. Blew. My. Effing. Mind.

I saw the Who live in 1989 at the Meadowlands. I was 16 and I don't think I've ever been happier in my life than I was at that concert. Obviously a lot of that was naivete, but I remember how that felt and it still stays with me.

Chef2 likes this.
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't think the White Album makes my top 10 favorite Beatles albums. They only had 12.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

That's a cool idea. Also if you remember where you were the first time you heard it. I remember hearing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and it hit me like a ton of fucking bricks.

Huggy likes this.
  5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Same experience for me but a different tour. I was 15 when I saw them in 1982 at the L.A. Coliseum with The Clash opening. It was my second concert. I was a huge fan. Not sure anything will ever top 15 year old me seeing "Won't Get Fooled Again" live.

Tweener likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'll throw in Steely Dan "Aja".

Always surprised about the airplay 52nd Street got for Billy Joel. The biggest hits "Big Shot"and "My Life" were probably the worst songs on the album.

Of course - "Rumours" - Fleetwood Mac.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

"Horses" is more than 43 years old now. Old enough to be a classic.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

U2 "I Will Follow" at the Record Peddler on Queen West in Toronto. To my ears, it sounded like nothing else at the time.

Tweener likes this.
  9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I see the White Album as the Beatles retrenchment into the genre of pop/rock music, which they had pretty much abandoned for two years beginning in 1966 after "Revolver," when they morphed into the psychedelic/ orchestrated / fantasy world soundscape of "Strawberry Fields" to "Sgt Pepper" to "Magical Mystery Tour" with the certifiably deranged "I Am The Walrus ('No You're Not,' Said Little Nicola)" the apotheosis; in the process they wanted to show their chops at virtually every form of 'pop rock' extant at the moment, so they dabbled in Dylanesque alt-country folk story songs ("Don't Pass Me By," "Bungalow Bill" and "Rocky Raccoon"), Who/Stones-style heavy power rock ("Helter Skelter"), faux-Caribbean reggae ("Ob-La-Di"), gut-busting British blooze ("Yer Blues"), Creamy melodic blues ("While My Guitar Gently Weeps") and experimentalist audio concrete ("Revolution 9").

Kicking off the album, of course, by slam dunking in the faces of Elvis, Chuck Berry and the Beach Boys with "Back in the U.S.S.R."

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    misterbc likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And "Sweetheart of the Rodeo," by the Byrds, celebrating the 50th anniversary of its release this year. The foundation for country rock, a term I don't really like but everyone understands.

FileNotFound likes this.
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Byrds of course were unabashed acolytes of Dylan at that moment, and Dylan had already pushed the envelope in the direction of country rock in 1965-66 with Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde.
    Not to mention "Rubber Soul," which
    was very much folk and country influenced. The Byrds definitely played off of that.

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

In the category of Classic One-Off Cover Songs
    By Drunken Rockers Up Past Midnight, I like this one ...

[​IMG]

Huggy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted