1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classic albums?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jan 16, 2019.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

What elevates an album to the status of classic. Obviously, this is all subjective, however, I am interested in hearing your thoughts.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Led Zepellin II
    Beatles White
    Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life

I still enjoy them as much as I did many many many many years ago. That's what does it for me, though I'm sure others have deeper explanations

misterbc likes this.
  3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Joe Williams likes this.
  4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

If you've never even thought to skip a song on an album the hundreds of times you've played it, that's a classic album.

Flip Wilson and tapintoamerica like this.
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

My friends and I used to refer to them as "Press Play" albums.
    I agree with the ones mentioned above, and would also add Appetite for Destruction and Pearl Jam's 10.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Agree on both of these. I think there's a case to be made that Appetite is the most classic of classic albums.

Maybe the ultimate "Press Play" album is Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever.

7. CD Boogie

Full Moon Fever dominated my senior year of high school. I just went and checked out the track list. Been a long time since I've heard "Zombie Zoo."

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I believe we must be the exact same age.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Silk Degrees.

Born to Run.

Gilded Palace of Sin.

No schlock or throwaways at all, except for maybe "Hippie Boy" on GPOS.

10. CD Boogie

Boz Scaggs and The Flying Burrito Brothers. I'm gonna hafta trust ya on those. I'd never even heard of those albums; had to look 'em up.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ehhh, even the most classic of classic albums have one or two, shall we say, "less classic" cuts.

IMO the White Album is probably the greatest album ever, full stop. But I still occasionally hit the FF button through "Wild Honey Pie." And I gotta be in the mood to stick through "Revolution 9."

To me, a classic album is one for which you remember all the songs, and their running order.

misterbc and X-Hack like this.
  12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

There are some albums that make it hard to believe there was a time when it didn't exist.

Like, fans of The Who in 1972 knew the band had a new album coming out, so they went to the record store the day it came out and picked up "Who's Next" and went home and put it on and heard "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "Baba O'Riley" for the first time.

It's hard for me to even imagine that. That's probably a decent sign of a classic album.

garrow, Tweener, typefitter and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted