1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 17, 2018.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Really happy to see Walker getting the love. Five-tool stud who was a joy to watch. He seems destined for enshrinement now. I hope Schilling misses by one vote, just to screw with him. And I say that as a Sox fan.

I don't understand the McGriff voting. He was never in the discussion as one of the best players in the game. Baines really wedged the door open for guys like him. But guys like Mattingly, Dick Allen and Albert Belle deserve enshrinement well before either of them.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Was McGriff ever better than Helton?

4. CD Boogie

hell no. I think Walker making it as the first Rockie will help pave the way for Helton's eventual induction.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

McGriff is getting the last-ballot push combined with the fact that there are more slots open compared to the last couple of years -- especially if you are a non-PED voter -- that were packed with first-timers. It's why so many guys have already gained big chunks of votes. Most of the 10-ballot guys have at least two spots open.

6. CD Boogie

That makes sense. There are at least 13 guys I'd vote in ahead of McGriff this year:

upload_2019-1-16_14-45-46.png

7. Della9250

Allan Trammell got a 42-vote bump in his final try four years ago on a much crowded ballot -- the Pedro, Randy, Smoltz, Biggio class.

Walker's last year is next year and I think he will still end up short. Too much ground to make up. McGriff's getting a nice kiss but he probably still won't end up getting a third of the vote. Walker's gonna have to change over 100 votes in 2020 and that's a very tough mountain to climb

8. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

9. Della9250

Worst ballot that will be submitted, barring a blank one, from a Spink Award winner

10. Della9250

With 201 ballots recorded (there were 422 last year, so that is 47.6 percent of that total):

100 -- Rivera
    92.5 -- Halladay
    90 -- Edgar (plus 19, was 20 votes shy)
    81.1 -- Mussina (plus 17, was 49 votes shy)
    72.1 -- Schilling (plus 16, was 101 votes shy)
    71.1 -- Clemens (plus 3, was 75 votes shy)
    70.6 -- Bonds (plus 3, was 79 votes shy)
    65.2 -- Walker (plus 40)
    38.3 -- Vizquel (plus 16)
    35.8 -- McGriff (plus 35)
    24.9 -- Manny (0)
    20.9 -- Rolen (plus 15)
    18.4 -- Helton
    16.4 -- Kent (plus 8) and Wagner (plus 10)
    Everyone else under 15 percent; Pettitte as a first-timer at 6.5
    Of note: Michael Young 3 votes, Oswalt, Berkman and Tejada 2 votes, Polanco 1 vote

11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Never thought Edgar was a Hall of Famer but how can you leave him out when Harold Baines is in?
    Schilling and Mussina have to be helped by Morris getting in, too

heyabbott likes this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The only question that need be asked: Are they as good as Harold Baines?

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted