1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Wetteland charged with abusing a minor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Former MLB pitcher John Wetteland has been charged with “sex abuse of child continuous victim under 14” in Texas.

https://deadspin.com/1831773454

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Jeez.

Him and Chad Curtis, who is in jail for something similar and was a fellow bible thumper, were teammates on the Yankees.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Correction. I just looked. They weren't teammates. Curtis came over the year after Wetteland left.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Summer of '85 my mom had an old friend from high school come up from Florida with her daughter from a previous marriage and her new husband, Morris. Morris was heavily involved in some bible thumping religion of such shit and mom's friend had been converted or "born again," as they say. They drove the whole way from Orlando to Pittsburgh with, not only luggage for three people, but also a giant bible which sat on a stand on the dresser. Pretty sure they even talked to my mom about converting, because you always want to thank folks letting your stay at their home by pushing your religion on them, and she essentially said, "nah, I'm good." Overheard mom talking on the phone a couple of weeks later about it to another friend and the word, "brainwashed" was used.

Fast forward two summers and we're now staying at the friend's house (imagine my joy). Mom's friend is there. Annoying daughter is there and....no Morris. I asked my mom about it in private and she said, "I'll tell you later." Everything was very hush-hush, and my mom ultimately didn't tell me until I brought it up three years later. Morris the Holy Roller, The Bible Transporter, the Converter, had been sexually abusing the daughter who was about 9 years old at the time.

I guess this is my long-winded way of saying I'm not shocked.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Ya coulda stopped right there.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Because all Christians molest children. Got it.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Not *all*.
    Don't be silly.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yes. That's exactly what I said. Nailed it.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Pretty sure Wetteland was a coach in the early days of the Nationals and Frank Robinson fired him. Called down to the bullpen to get someone ready and Wetteland was off with a couple of the relievers blowing up bobbleheads with firecrackers.

Plus, you know, he's a Christian. ;)

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Four years old? Jeeeebus

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just read the update. Exactly.

Draft saved Draft deleted