1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carol Channing dies at 97

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

One of my dad's favorites. Maybe his favorite.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Former longtime political cartoonist at the Sun-Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale (Chan Lowe) is her son. Laid off there four years ago.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Ryan Stiles jamming his head into Drew's desk and shattering the light onto his head while doing a Carol Channing impression is the second greatest moment on the show.

Behind — of course — the Richard Simmons jet ski scene.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Good lord - Carol Channing as Dirty Harry... brilliant.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Cue the "Goodbye Dolly" editorial cartoons.

7. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

No mention of her boxing career?

Batman likes this.
  8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I am one of (I suspect) millions of people who primarily know her as the pitchwoman for some denture adhesive. "It's me, the Big Mouth!"

Looking forward to the maudlin cartoon where she's reunited with her teeth in heaven.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think that was Martha Raye (also dead). BTW - I remember John Davidson doing an incredible job as a Carol Channing impersonator (who is schizophrenic and one of his alteregos kills people) on an episode of Streets of San Francisco.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You're right! That was Martha Raye.

Damn. I guess I did know Carol Channing from "Hello Dolly." Probably better that way.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Can't wait til Carol encounters former Providence Mayor Buddy Cianci at Club Hereafter. She was performing a musical here, and Buddy was going to give her a proclamation and key to the city at intermission. Backstage, her manager was lighting a cigarette in a place he wasn't supposed to, and Cianci ripped him a new one in a tirade that included a colorful anti-gay slur. At intermission, Carol told him onstage what he could do with his proclamation.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

She musta been something before electricity. RIP

Draft saved Draft deleted