1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital First pursuing Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Jan 13, 2019.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The one thing I don't understand about this is that DFM basically tries to use the newspaper to cut costs to the bone and sell off the assets. Problem is, there's not much left with Gannett properties to cut or sell. In our market, Gannett already sold the Indianapolis Star's downtown building and moved the newsroom into rented space in a mall. There aren't many assets left to sell off.

For journalism, this is really, really bad. As inept as Gannett is, it's still at least trying to be a media company. DFM's history is running a skeleton operation until it's sold off everything of value.

Tweener likes this.
  2. Writer

Writer Member

Even though I am not a Gannett fan from my experiences, I feel like this would really hurt the journalism industry if this sale happens.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

It would. I work for Gannett and it was confirmed in a company email this morning that DFM did indeed make an offer for $12/share. That scares the hell out of me. Not just because of what that could mean for my job and newsroom but because of what this means for journalism. Could, in some ways, be a death blow.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I do not believe this is an exaggeration.

Tweener likes this.
  5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The Wall Street Journal article said DFI asked the Gannett board to stop making investments in digital. And if a media company is unwilling to invest in digital then it is just running out the string.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This would unequivocally be a disaster for journalism.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just in case anyone was wondering, when Gannett was spun off, the newspaper division opened at $14.37 in 2015. And that's before some significant acquisitions.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I'm with everyone else here with no love for Gannett, but this is just bad news.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

11. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Question: Do Gannett employees have an Option C that allows them to tank the corporation's value before a possible sale to DFM/Alden? There has to be some recourse here if they're getting sold to someone who will gut newsrooms.

Tweener likes this.
  12. Writer

Writer Member

With the way the way the journalism industry is heading, it's making public relations look like a more appealing career path.

Draft saved Draft deleted