1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

swingline likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Come on in, fellas.

Happy meals for everyone!

Would anyone like a McCovfefe? Don't be shy.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I know. It is disgusting on a few different levels.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You think college football players want Panera over Wendy's and pizza?

And, FWIW, three things:

1. I'm not an everyman. Far from it. And certainly not the American everyman.

2. What I suppose I do, on some level, is critique what I see as prevailing cultural issues. And since the predominant question since Trump was elected is "how in the hell did this happen and how in the hell do we make sure it never does again" I submit that there's a considerable cultural pendulum that swings, pretty consistently. And Trump inadvertently - Lord knows he didn't have a clue, maybe Bannon perniciously did, but Trump's out there in the wilderness at this point - touched a big nerve over the last two years. It revealed things in America - yes, xenophobia, yes, racism, but other things, too - that were fascinating and troubling. And chief among those things, at least for me, was this idea that many Americans in the Midwest (even wealthy ones) absolutely couldn't stand liberals and what they stood for. Not immigrants. Not poor people. Educated liberals.

And I think - maybe I'm wrong - that the media has something to do with it. Social media in particular, some traditional media, too.

As for the beards/Patagonia stuff, of course it's a sorting mechanism. Of course it is. I'd argue it's more specific - even if still broad - than the sorting mechanism used around here for all kinds of categories for people.

3. This stuff, to me - the culture stuff - is interesting. Very much so. Now, other people, they wanna focus on whatever as it relates to Trump, fine, do that. We've enough people prattling on about Trump's fatness and his daughter, I think.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

They've been invited the White House. The White House should not be serving fast food to invited guests.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

God, I love what schools do with all the money they won't pay the players.

I know a little about training tables. Not much, but a little.

They tend to call for a balanced plate that's full of different kinds of foods, there's usually plenty of salad and meat, and you can make damn near any grain taste good with enough trial and error.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Just so we're clear, though, imagine the pretentiousness somebody has to have to work for a training table and think, for any reason at all, quinoa has to end up on the menu, which it doesn't.

Football players love steak, in my experience.

And, you know, you can just pour ketchup on quinoa, too. Or ranch.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Well, he’s a slob that never matured beyond age 10 for some reason so this makes sense.

9. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He should take them Camelot on M Street

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If I were a national championship athlete, and somebody invited me to a "celebration" and they handed me a Big Mac, I'd throw it on the fucking floor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.