1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annual Christmas Party/ Bonus Thread: 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Well it's that time of year again.

I'm going to hold off a couple days posting on what I received this year for my Christmas bonus but I will be posting it soon. For those out there that feel jilted or are feeling appreciative toward their employer, would love to know what all you received or what your shop did for its employees this Christmas.

Be sure to mention whether you work for a newspaper, TV or radio station, online publication, magazine, or other type of media. Comparing what newspaper peeps get to the rest is always sad yet comical. I'm sure Frederick will have a good story or two to share as well.

In the meantime, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

Fredrick likes this.
  2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Thursday is my last day of work for the year, but I still get a full check for the month (along with 5 weeks paid vacay, work from home and set my own schedule) plus a bonus check (usually about a 1/3 of a regular check).
    I run are a online publication/magazine.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Edit yourself! :)

Doc Holliday and Cosmo like this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A change in hours that I do not want and I've been fighting because it affects how I can handle my family's still ongoing -- and will continue -- estate. Reaction from management: Screw you.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Last Christmas bonus I got was in 1999, when we got, IIRC, gift cards or something for working Y2K. No longer in media, no bonus, but since I am TDY over the holidays I'm getting per diem. Merry Christmas!

No party; they're doing a potluck this week and a secret Santa. I drew the highest-ranking military guy we have. I'd already collected my gift so I hope he likes cranberry juice, root beer, Crystal Light, Gatorade, hot chocolate, Pop Tarts and peanut butter because there's a sampling of each. Nothing like that to be found here, though he may have his sources.

Bringing mashed potatoes to the potluck. Paid $10 for about three pounds of potatoes but will scrape up the rest of the ingredients from the hostel-like accommodation I'm staying in. There's really no other source.

We also had Christmas-themed trivia last week and will have Christmas-themed bingo this week. There's a NYE party on the 27th.

Merry Christmas from Iraq. I'll be working.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

No bonus. Didn't go to holiday party because it was the same night as hs
    band concert. Mrs got about 3k.

7. Writer

Writer Member

Work at a newspaper. No bonus and didn't go to Christmas party because I had to cover a basketball game.

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I never got a $3K Christmas bonus in newspapers, and I never got a $300 Christmas bonus in newspapers, either.

The managers, though, always got big bonuses for keeping salaries down. But they wouldn’t take questions about that. :cool:

Tweener likes this.
  9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Our "bonus" was a $20 gift card from Publix -- better than nothing. It'll help pay for a fraction of the cost of food and alcohol when friends stay with us for the New Year's holiday.

The holiday potluck was last Friday and very nice. Food was served at 1 p.m., but still plenty left when the night crew came in two hours later. Thankfully, the ugly sweater contest took place before I arrived

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

At my Walmart store tonight, we had a buffet-style Christmas dinner, served by upper management, for all the associates. Food was from Famous Dave's -- the works, with ribs, chicken, baked beans, potatoes, along with some kind of stuffing that I didn't eat. For dessert, there was a great cheesecake -- don't know where from, but it was delicious.

There was no extra Christmas bonus per se, but we got our quarterly profit-sharing bonus last week: $500.50 each for all full-timers, $275-ish for part-time associates. And, we close at 6 p.m. on Christmas Eve this year. I can't complain:).

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I'm considered a freelance writer, but I got a $100 Amazon gift card a few days ago.

At my last full-time office job, I didn't get a bonus but I got the week between Christmas and New Year off with pay — off the books. That was nice.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I used to work for a sports league and the holiday brunch was terrific -- tons of great food, crafts for the kids, Santa in a side room w/a professional photographer, just a really nice time in the league's extravagantly decorated main building. When we moved to another state and other jobs, our single best memory of the old digs was that brunch. Two weekends ago, my wife and I went back to the area for an old coworker's wedding and the folks who still worked there said the brunch has been all but killed, now relegated to a parking-lot tent with a little food. And this isn't a struggling league or anything like that. The suits just don't get it.

studthug12 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted