1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Penny Marshall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I had the chance to go to a Lakers game with a corporate travel guy who handled the team's charters. He was pointing out all the celebs, bodyguards, VIP, etc. One of the Philly guys was giving Penny Marshall a jersey. I remarked on it and he went into a 2 minute convo about how awesome she was, great fan, better person, etc. RIP. Also loved League of Their Own.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Years ago, Carmelo Anthony got an offer from Penny Marshall, asking for him to be in her next movie. But she would need him to cut off his braids. Melo thought about it for a second or two before he dictated a response to a lackey: "Penny, you out yo' damn mind."

RIP.

John B. Foster likes this.
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

She was pretty much Lucy for the boomer generation.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A League of Their Own is one of my favorite movies. And yeah, the Lucy point is well taken

John B. Foster likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's ridiculous how someone so talented seemed to have to beg for directing gigs. Big, League of their Own and Awakenings? And you only get three features after that?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I always thought Lucy probably could have had a good career as a "serious" writer/director, but she was still making good bread being "Lucy" in her stupid 1960s sitcom permutations.

It would have been like Penny Marshall doing rehashes of Laverne into her senior years.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I believe she had a rep for being a crazy pain in the ass.

Needless to say, that wouldn't have hurt her one iota if she were a man.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Says alot about what a completely stupid conformist moronic prick Melo is.

Penny Marshall was great and will be missed. And whatever disfunction existed in their marriage, when it was working who wouldn’t want to hang out with penny and rob Reiner. They also grew up near each other in the Bronx in the 40s and 50s. when Carl Reiner started making money they moved from the Bronx.

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Lucy was busy running Desilu, the biggest TV studio in Hollywood
    She was a LOT more than pratfalls, as was Marshall

OscarMadison and heyabbott like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted