1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 College Football Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake_Taylor, Nov 5, 2018.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Too soon for Tedford to start looking, or is their anything out there worth his while?

RubberSoul1979 likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Glad Tedford is getting a "second act" - he worked miracles at Cal - and even though it unraveled at the end - he actually made Cal fans realize there is no reason they can't have a successful program there.
    I don't see him looking at another re-build - but I could see him jumping to a perennial top-15 program suddenly in need of a coach. He's only 57.

3. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Great question, along the lines of what Jon Wilner floated this weekend: Considering all its coaching turnover over the last four years, why didn't any Pac-12 school make a run at him??

To that I say: Maybe he *isn't* looking, and wants to build his school into the monster it's for years aspired to be. Or maybe its just another sign of Pac-12 football's general incompetence.

Heck, after going 15-2 as a starting quarterback, then assisting both Jim Sweeney and Pat Hill, it's reasonable to say Jeff Tedford *is* Fresno State football.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I just thought while watching that Fresno clip that anyone under the age of 20 wouldn't recognize that as football.

The oversized pads that force the quarterbacks to do two steps to steady themselves to throw while on the run, the comically robotic shifts, the same formation run over and over and over again, the light jogging back to the huddle with no hurry to get to the next play, one of the wideouts at 2:46 standing out there in an unathletic stance because everyone knows the play isn't going to him...

The game really is hundreds of times better now. We just like complaining about things.

5. RubberSoul1979

Begs the questions...

Fresno State is now 22-6 (.786) under Tedford. What other active FBS coaches won that many games over their first two years with their current teams?

What other FBS program has done a better job just nailing the head coaching search over the last nearly 40 years?
    • Jim Sweeney: 143 wins, brought Fresno State its first AP poll ranking, established its ongoing QB tradition, got promotion to the WAC—after inheriting a team who played on a junior college campus
    • Pat Hill: 112 wins in 15 seasons; fewer than 40 coaches have won 100 games in a Div I/FBS career spent entirely at one school
    • Tim DeRuyter: 11-1 in 2013 (only a Week 12 loss to San Jose State denied a Fiesta Bowl trip)
    • Jeff Tedford : 2019 season opens at USC

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If Urban Meyer still counts, he went 24-2 (.923) in his first two years at Ohio State (2012-13).
    Lincoln Riley is 24-3 (.889) in nearly two seasons at Oklahoma (2017-18).
    David Shaw went 23-4 (.852) in his first two seasons at Stanford (2011-12).

So the answer is not very many.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Always wondered if they found more ways to slow the game down with bulkier pads if it would lessen the concussion risk.

Hermes likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Throwing this in here since it's active and there's not a cfb recruiting thread that I know of.

You can imagine the responses, and I'm sure can think of a couple yourself. "Well, if you work hard enough and long enough, eventually good things happen." "It's about time things went Nick's way" Etc.

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. RubberSoul1979

Les Miles: He's already succeeded at a Big XII school (known more for basketball). Where can he take Kansas? How can he elevate KU to Mike Gottfried levels, at least?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If Miles can get KU to Glen Mason-era success that would be an accomplishment.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I honestly think KU will have a better record in football than K-State next year.

Draft saved Draft deleted