1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 14

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Dec 5, 2018.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The six and a half hours of Red Zone yesterday were just fabulous. Fantastic.

Kudos to 5 late games on the schedule. Too often the late window sucks due to three games.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

As a Steelers fan, I almost hope they miss the playoffs so that they can justify firing Tomlin. The fans will support it. That team is going nowhere anyway. What's the point in going one and done in the playoffs again, if that means another season of watching Tomlin spend more time matching his sunglasses to his outfit than in preparing the team each week.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just don't see them firing Tomlin even if they lose out. The Rooneys just don't operate that way. It's going to take at least one more season of missing the playoffs before they would do it.

It's just too easy to make excuses, like the Bell situation or having one of the best kickers in the NFL suddenly lose it. (Though really, that's not so surprising for a kicker.) They can even go back to the fluky and devastating injury to Shazier. They certainly haven't come close to replacing him. There really isn't a special player on that defense. He was maddening to watch sometimes with the missed tackles, but he has proven to be irreplaceable.

I'm not saying those excuses should be enough to protect Tomlin. They shouldn't. I've just been watching that organization long enough to know they are unlikely to make a coaching change after this season.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I though RZ sucked yesterday, at least the 10 a.m.-1 p.m. window. Jets-Bills going up and down the field in the 4Q and they showed just two plays. Other games were ignored too because they completely fell in love with the KC-Ravens game.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just think of what it would be if he knew the system!

6. CD Boogie

Ignoring the Bills-Jets game to feature the No. 1 offense in the league versus the No. 1 defense? The balls on them.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

McKenzie officially out in Oakland. It's officially Gruden's show:

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Slip or not, Gronk took a bad angle to begin with, but he's an offensive player. Knocking down a Hail Mary and chasing a rugby play are two different skills. Pats needed every available DB on the field for that play. With six picks in the first three rounds (presuming third-round comp picks for M. Butler and Amendola) of the '19 draft, upgrading team speed seems like the biggest priority.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If they showed two plays of Jets-Bills, it was one too many.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

But they didn't make one lateral to a Tyreek Hill and have him blow
    past everyone up the sideline. Only saw it twice so I can't point to every guy
    who fucked up, but there were multiple. Just think it's kind of stupid for some
    people to say Belichick should've gone for the TD. Drake made some nice moves,
    but JFC he isn't Barry Sanders. Gronk and a few other Pats looked silly.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That's not what Red Zone is for.

And as I said, they ignored every other game, and were lucky to get the final Miami-New England play.

12. CD Boogie

Well the final play of that game didn't start in the Red Zone or anywhere near, so should they have even been showing it? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted