1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Note friday.

It is almost - ALMOST - like you have no idea of what you are talking about.

Best Day of the Week to Buy Stock: Monday
    There are some who believe that certain days offer systematically better returns than others, but over the long run, there is very little evidence for such a market-wide effect. Still, people believe that the first day of the work week is best. It's called the Monday Effect. For decades, the stock market has had a tendency to drop on Mondays, on average. Some studies have attributed this to a significant amount of bad news that is often released over the weekend. Others point to investors' gloomy mood at having to go back to work, which is especially evident during the early hours of Monday trading. Since the Monday Effect has been made public and information has diffused through the market about it, the impact has largely disappeared. The chart below shows that while Mondays on average have marked negative returns for the S&P 500 in 2018, the effect is very small.

[​IMG]

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

We're going to miss your necessary conservative voice again.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I made no argument that, on average, Fridays were likely to be a down day, or the best day to buy.

I said that when we're in a period of velocity, and traders are jittery, they might not want to go home long over a weekend.

And, we actually see the opposite sometimes happen in a bull market. Fridays can be big up days, as people don't want to miss out, or go home short.

But, yeah, in a period where a simple statement regarding trade with China can be a big deal, there will be people who don't want to hold a position over a weekend, when news might break.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What'd I do?

I thought I was criticizing Ragu the poster, not Ragu the moderator. Which hat is he wearing this morning?

If you can get banned for that post, this place really is sad.

5. poindexter

You said Fridays are particularly gruesome. In a volatile market. Which 2018 is.
    And Fridays are THE BEST TRADING DAY OF THE WEEK. NOT GRUESOME. BEST.

6. poindexter

Yet you keep coming back, week after week after week, to this sad 'ol place.

Why would that be?

lakefront likes this.
  7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

8. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Because his alternative place has less traffic than this sad 'ol place?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Friday may or may not be equities time. But it has often been Mueller time.

Is anything revealing going to come out of the Cohen and Manafort filings that are supposed to drop today, or is it going to be a redacted mystery?

10. poindexter

Hey, dumbass.
    Show your trading confirmations for 2018.

Lets see all your buys on the dips.

11. poindexter

[​IMG]

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.