1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hit a road block with content

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by DMNHL, Sep 23, 2018.

1. DMNHL

DMNHL New Member

I am working with a team of about five people who are covering the NHL expansion to Seattle. Not much is expected in terms of news until the spring and discussion is really centered around the arena developments. When I last spoke with the league I was told they would likely not vote until the December BOG meetings although the BOG will be meeting in October to hear from the executive committee following the ownerships presentation on the same day. This has all been covered to death in the market and I am almost at a roadblock in terms of coming up with topics to cover. I don't know if it's that we are technically covering a team that doesn't exist, but I am struggling.

I guess my question is.. do you have any tips for developing topic ideas during slower times?

2. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Lots of different ways to go about it. You could look at the city's hockey history, what it'd be like for Seattle to get another pro team, how it could affect the youth hockey in the city, see what pros from Seattle think about the NHL potentially coming back to town, etc. But you're also in a tough spot because the NHL hasn't even approved the team yet.

DougieMellon likes this.
  3. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

When in doubt: listicle! Top 10 cities that were turned down for NHL/NBA/MLB/NFL expansion teams, and why, and what that history might predict for SEA.

DougieMellon likes this.
  4. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

How much reportage has there been on the Thunderbirds and what their players, front-office personnel, fans, etc. make of the city's NHL potential? There may be some untapped angles in there. Ditto a broader look at hockey in the Pacific Northwest, since there are (I believe) three other major-junior teams in Washington State plus the Portland Winterhawks.

DougieMellon likes this.
  5. DougieMellon

DougieMellon New Member

I apologize that it took me so long to get back to these. Thank you all for the responses.. some solid insight.

Draft saved Draft deleted