1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP President George H.W. Bush

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As someone who delivered eulogies for both of his parents, I know it's anything but easy to do. W did exceptionally well.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Right there with you. Did them for my mother, grandfather, grandmother and two close friends (my dad is still living) and they're not easy.

Speaking of great eulogies, Ted Kennedy's for RFK is probably the all-timer.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

As much as George W. Bush was often characterized as not-too-bright and nothing too special, he seems to have an ability to step up when the occasion calls for it. Among the things he will be remembered for most whenever he passes away are his response to 9/11, and now, this tribute.

My hat's off to anyone who can deliver a really good, accurate and moving eulogy. It's what you want to do, of course, but is probably so much easier talked about than done, when you're in an emotional state anyway, you probably won't think of everything you'd like to, and then choosing what to speak of, and how, and doing it well and movingly has to be exceedingly difficult.

And, Ted Kennedy had many great speeches and always did a wonderful job on eulogies. Even the one he gave for John F. Kennedy Jr. ranks right up there.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Eh, Desert Storm > Bay of Pigs

Eh, probably got shot down and captured.

CD Boogie likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I couldn’t do it. Grateful my brother could.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Far, far better than Kennedy. JFK's social agenda basically accomplished nothing, he paid lip service to civil rights, and he got us stuck in Vietnam. Many of JFK's "historians" who established the narrative immediately after his death were close family friends who totally wrote what the family, especially RFK, told them to write.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I know being in the public eye for so long helps in speaking, but I admire GWB for doing this and hitting it out of the park. This ain’t like addressing the Kiwanis Club convention.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

The relief he felt when it was over was obvious. Sat way back in his chair, arms outstretched, talking with his wife and Jeb. I actually felt relieved for him.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

James Meredith might disagree with that assessment.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He was speaking both for and to his family. To him, the assembled dignitaries, except maybe his father's close friends, were the Kiwanis Club.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Kennedy did nothing to advance his civil rights bill. Absolutely refused to listen to Johnson, who had advice on how to get it through Congress. The Kennedy family paid little attention to civil rights; even RFK was late to the party, until it became politically expedient. Once he became involved, RFK did care; JFK, not so much.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Very difficult. I was one of the speakers for when my sister and her family died last year (I'm the oldest sibling). That whole month was such a blur that I barely remember what I said and I have not rewatched the service in the 14 months since.

But I do know both of my brothers -- both difficult to please -- told me right after I finished that I did an incredible job.

I thought W. did a tremendous job. The whole service was incredibly moving.

Chef2, FileNotFound and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted