1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP President George H.W. Bush

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, Dec 1, 2018.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The man (and his siblings) lost his mother and father within seven months. I lost four family members on one day who were not my parents and I'm still broken and lost nearly 15 months later.

BadgerBeer, Batman, maumann and 3 others like this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I lost both of my parents within 11 months a few years ago. Same year my wife left me and I got fired. Banner year in the ole bender family. The old man grabbed me and said...oh, he was dead, so no go. Yeah, there’s no sugarcoating what dubya is going through.

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Only the good...

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It's tough, even when it's at 94 after a life well-lived. My dad passed last month at 92; it was for the best, he'd really been failing, but it was still unbelievably difficult to see him unconscious for three days, even if he was not suffering or aware, before he finally died.

My mom is taken care of and financially set, has lots of company so that part is OK but she says the days are long without him. They were married for more than 70 years, and seldom spent nights apart. There are moments when I have to really stop myself from breaking down completely. I told my mom and my brothers that he would not want any of us to be sad, but at times it's impossible not to be.

I can understand completely what the Bush family is going through. My dad wasn't president, but he was just as important to me as a president. My best wishes to the Bush family at this time.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who had no idea they don't deliver mail on days of mourning for Presidents? I didn't remember that happening in 2007 for Ford, but apparently it did. Huh.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

7. CD Boogie

what, is it nudey magazine day or something?

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

No, but the weekly newspaper at which I work gets mailed to our subscribers and now will be a day late. Kinda a big deal to us with no advance notice. I now get to field 100 phone calls from Boca and Charleston and Scottsdale from a bunch of snowbirds.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. CD Boogie

You can’t be serious. 100 phone calls? For a weekly newspaper? No chance you get 5

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

ex·ag·ger·a·tion
    /iɡˌzajəˈrāSH(ə)n/
    noun
    noun: exaggeration; plural noun: exaggerations
    1. a statement that represents something as better or worse than it really is.
      "it would be an exaggeration to say I had morning sickness, but I did feel queasy"
      synonyms: overstatement, overemphasis, magnification, amplification, aggrandizement; More
      dramatization, elaboration, embellishment, embroidery, hyperbole, overkill, gilding the lily
      "his testimony was a laughable mix of contradiction and exaggeration"
      • the action of making statements that represent something as better or worse than it really is.
        "he was prone to exaggeration"

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Probably 20. Just because I have one lady in Arizona who calls me three times every week to complain the newspaper arrives on Thursdays.

The kicker?

It's supposed to arrive on Thursdays.

12. CD Boogie

ahh senior citizens.

Draft saved Draft deleted