1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP President George H.W. Bush

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, Dec 1, 2018.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I loved the Republican response to the 1988 Democratic convention, when Ted Kennedy gave the "Where was George" speech. ("When Iran-Contra was exposed, where was George? When Reagan cut welfare, where was George? When Reagan cut school lunches, where was George?")
    Later, at the Republican convention, there were T-shirts that said, "Where was George?" on the front. On the back they said, "Dry, sober and home with his wife."

JimmyHoward33 and HanSenSE like this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Being a son/grandson of anyone shouldn't be criteria for a Hall of Fame, and the Presidents Cup stuff doesn't mean a hill of beans -- every U.S. president has been an honorary chairman. It's part of the pomp and circumstance of the event that the PGA Tour loves to trot out. The hard work for The First Tee and charitable tournament work is highly admirable, I won't discount that. I would put a small caveat on those service awards from the governing bodies; you've been around the game long enough to know that a little buttering of biscuits is involved in those, and golf loves their Republican presidents.

But, yes, the man loved fast rounds. May the golf Gods fete him for eternity for that alone.

JC likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'd love to have the doctors that ex-presidents have. The last 3 to pass away (Reagan, Ford and Bush in order) were 93, 93 and 94 respectively.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Watching the memorial now, very moving. You can feel George W. Bush's pain.

I took a course on the presidency in college, always fascinated by the office.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7. Walker Cup competition. Trophy named for his grandfather.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's been mentioned previously, but I do love how GHWB and Clinton became close friends the past decade or so. I'd have loved to listen into their conversations about being POTUS.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And Carter's still ticking at 94.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

43 just looks broken and lost. I feel awful for him.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Moderator1

Pence is crushing this speech. Really really strong. The anecdote about his son was over the top wonderful

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Since Pence was a nobody in Indiana when GHWB was president, I'd say the odds are pretty strong he never met him. Just like Ryan.

11. Moderator1

Put aside your rage, just for a moment. OK? I'm not a fan of the guy either but he did one hell of a job with the speech. Take your rage back to the other thread

Batman likes this.
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Immediately. The Pence speech was tremendous. Be political on the other thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted