1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Match Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Prediction.

Tiger shoots 67.
    Phil shoots 70.

Tiger donates all 9 million to fight the fires.
    Phil donates 1 million to fight the fires.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Prediction: More people "watch" the match via social media updates and illegal streams than actually pay for it.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I took a little flyer on Phil at +175 'cause I think his juices will be fully flowing. His golf bag will be filled with bundles of C-notes and he'll wear out Tiger with side action. Of course, Tiger could let him take all the side bets he wants and still drill him in the match. But this seems like the kind of meaningless thing Phil would win, while Tiger can fall back on "14 and 80" smack talk -- which does the job pretty well.

I won't be watching, I'll be stealing peeks at social media like @Inky_Wretch said. The price is stupid and could have been handled so much better. Couldn't Callaway or Bridgestone have gotten behind this for their guys and maybe tossed in a couple sleeves of balls with the $19.99?

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The side bets and them being miked up will be intriguing.
    Will be funny to hear Tiger with an unbleeped "Fucking Tiger." when he hits one into the desert.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's match play so they'll be picking up and halving a few - no chance to get a clear idea about scores. Honestly, giving all the money to a charity would be a good play for golf. Regularly. Particularly if they tied it in to "Giving Tuesday" ahead of the holidays.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Surely this thing is set up well on the back end for both guys to make out like bandits, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the winner give the $9 mil to charity and soak up the accolades. The PGA Tour probably already has its charity messaging in place for just that.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Are side bets coming out of their own pockets, or is there a sponsor for that.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Own pockets.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As well as Tiger played at end of year, I agree with a sports writer who said this is in Phil’s wheelhouse, a free wheeling bet game, not a tournament setting. It’s got Phil written all over it; plus Phil’s scouting Shadow Creek while Tigers in Florida.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Prediction: Mickelson hits a ball in motion four times on the first green; gets DQ'd. The whole show is over in 12 minutes.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

And then bites Tiger's ear off!

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Only if there's a Vegas prop that Phil can get down on.

Draft saved Draft deleted