1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 College Football Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake_Taylor, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Don’t know about Maryland. Isn’t that athletic department a financial shambles?

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Depends on how much Kevin Plank and UA infuses, I guess.

Which is why I don’t buy UA.

So what did Hopkins do a couple of years ago? Yeah, UA became our official athletic clothing line supplier.

Now polos cost around $70-$80, instead of a more reasonable $45 or so.

I told our SID, man, that’s like aiding and abetting the enemy!

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Maryland is a trash fire. They're swimming in red ink and I'm positive that played into the initial plan to keep Durkin on board. They're so mismanaged financially they make Pitt look like Texas. They overspent on facilities (which means they never had the money donated to build them in the first place) then had to go shaking their asses to the Big 10 with a short skirt on to lure in additional revenues. Maryland fits as well into the B1G as Boise State would have in the Big East. And Plank isn't the giant beneficiary that Knight is at Oregon. He kicks in but he's not underwriting the entire department the way Uncle Phil does.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Chef2 likes this.
  4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Maryland is a better job because of the recruiting base: The DMV has a top of really good players. When your base is Kansas, there isn't a lot to deal with.

For example, the 2020 class has 7 of the top 50 players coming from there and 7 more from 51-150. Throw in several more from Jersey and the Carolina and you have a really good crop of athletes almost every year

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

A really good coach can find a recruiting gold mine at Maryland with the DMV, northward to Pennsylvania and New Jersey and southward into the Carolinas. The right coach would have success landing prospects up and down the eastern seaboard.

Kansas, however, isn't a barren wasteland. You do have the nation's best junior college system to pluck from. Les will have to have a staff that can challenge Snyder for those junior college kids and someone that can get the job done in Texas.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

7. BitterYoungMatador2

Let me know when that "really good coach" arrives. Aside from a couple magical seasons with Friegden, Maryland football is more or less resembled a clogged toilet for the past 30 years.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Ironically(?, I don't know, I never use it right) when Maryland made it to the Orange Bowl it was with a quarterback from small town Kansas.

The formula for KU is to get most of the best local (Kansas and KC area) kids and fill in with overlooked guys from elsewhere. Under Mangino that was Texas. Lately, KU has done well recruiting in Louisiana. I would expect that to continue with Miles, especially if he keeps Hull on staff as expected.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I would expect Matt Canada to be strongly considered at Maryland.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

It also hurts Maryland that no one in that area cares about Maryland football, which is nuts when you consider there are probably six million people at least in the D.C.-Baltimore region. When Kansas football got hot the stadium was packed and the fans traveled. When Maryland made the Orange and Peach Bowls they had to beg fans to buy tickets.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Are any non-Deep South big cities wild about their local college football team if that team is not at least a perennial conference championship contender?

12. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

That's not because of the lack of talent in the surrounding areas, it's because they have hires that are fucking awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted