1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jonathan Franzen's 10 rules for novelists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Nov 15, 2018.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Margaret Atwood?

Big Circus and Azrael like this.
  2. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

My vote for best novelist of the century is Glen David Gold, with the caveat he's only written two novels. But Carter Beats the Devil is unquestionably brilliant, and I enjoyed Sunnyside a lot, too.

Azrael likes this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The Savage Detectives might be my favorite read of the last 20 years. Just didn't want it to end. I think Junot Diaz is vastly overrated and that Oscar Wao is a terrible novel.

My Struggle was not my cup of tea. First 200 pages of Volume 1 were great, and then it just flagged and I had to will myself to finish it. I won't read another one in the series after that experience.

I'd put Murakami near the top of the novelist game, though I understand if some readers don't dig his style. Alice Munro is pretty damn good, though I believe she keeps to the short game.

Azrael likes this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I had trouble with Oscar Wao, too. BTW, Diaz has been under siege with the #metoo stuff. It's hard to tell what to make of it.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Honestly, I tried and didn't finish. Same with Moonglow. Have never attempted Telegraph Avenue.

This thread is making me think I should read Yiddish again.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I actually think (blasphemy) that Yiddish is Chabon's best book.

I don't know that Diaz is a *great* gut, but it does say something to me that MIT and The Pulitzers looked into the allegations thrown at Diaz and cleared him. MIT is even letting him teach again.

I liked Oscar Wao a great deal.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Is the consensus that it's Kavalier & Clay?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think so.

Kavalier is his highest profile, reputation-making success.

But I'd find it very hard to choose between it and YPU if asked to do so.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'd add Denis Johnson to our 21st century list, and maybe Cormac McCarthy.

What about JK Rowling?

Double Down, Vombatus and HC like this.
  10. The Big Ragu

I started to post this last night in response to DD, but I didn't finish. I can't see how it would be blasphemy for anyone to say YPU is their favorite. It is a fantastic, sweeping novel.

For me it is Kavalier and Clay. But I put YPU right there with it. I connect really well many of Chabon's characters, and some of his story lines, as fantastical as they are, remind me of stories I heard about my dad's side of the family -- my grandparent's generation. Even his contemporary characters in other books have connected really well with my experiences. Which is probably what draws me to his books. But my dad's uncles, and there were a lot of them, were a bunch characters who could have stepped right out of Chabon novels. Which is part of the reason I think I enjoy his books. His books seem familiar to me, and bringing it back to the origins of this thread, something @typefitter said nailed it. Chabon's stuff is inspirational. In a way I don't find Franzen (although I have only read two of his books). Maybe it is an unfair comparison, because they are different writers with different styles, but I find Franzen depressing by comparison. Chabon's characters are often people who dream big things, and as an author he has a gift for guiding you through their lives in ways that make you feel invested. He's just a great story teller. In the case of K and C, I connected particularly well will Joe Kavalier and Sam Clay, which is why that book gets a slight edge over several other books I adore. But YPU is right there with all of Chabon's books I have enjoyed. I mean, Pittsburgh, Wonder Boys, YPU, etc. If anyone said, "That one is my favorite," for me it wouldn't be like, "What are you nuts?"

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Cormac. Good call.

12. The Big Ragu

I was avoiding people like Cormac McCarthy because I didn't think writers in their 70s, 80s who were still writing really good books after 2000 should count as 21st writers. I can think of a few others, such as Joyce Carol Oates, Margaret Atwood, Ian McEwan, even Philip Roth. I am sure I am missing a bunch of others.

Draft saved Draft deleted