1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 College Football Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake_Taylor, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He was never one of college football's best coaches. Not on any day of the week. Neither was Larry Coker.

Ed Orgeron's going to win 10 or 11 this year at LSU. And he's Ed Orgeron.

Now - Mike Leach? He can coach. Nutty asshole. Never won a national title. But he can coach.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Doubt it unless they're firing the AD who hired Lovie.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Most of the pundits judging hires - hell, me too - don't know shit.

And I have no idea if Herm will work either. He's going to crap out a lot of 6, 7 and 8-win years, Arizona State will probably act like that's not good enough, and fire him, too, after five seasons, like ASU did with Dirk Koetter and Todd Graham. (Though it's my understanding Graham is a little bit of a jerk.)

The Pac-12 South is a massive revolving door. Utah is stable. That's about it.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'll do something rare in this message board world.

I'll back down on this -- these are good reasons. My concerns are his age and whether he has the energy. Really. Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Unlike Dave Clawson at Richmond, Laycock didn't leave London a cupboard full of talent. But I guess he's a good guy, and he did go to a great school.

7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Coker was so bad he was basically handed three national title teams by Butch Davis and could only manage to win one.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

FTFY.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

ASU hires someone - there is talk about how the school is a sleeping giant - they win 9 or 10 games in a coach's first or second year, then an 8 win season, a 7 win season and a six win season and then they hire someone else. Since Darryl Rogers no coach has been fired with a record below .500 and no coach has reached more than 58 wins (Bruce Snyder).

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

FTFY

Chef2 likes this.
  11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The age and energy are totally fair concerns. I think the way he was canned at LSU and the ensuing time away from the game would give him energy. As for age, I'm good if he simply does a good job with this five-year contract.

If Miles gives the Jayhawks five good seasons and leaves the program in a better place than he left it --let's say, an eight-win program in Year 5 to continue a decent bowl run -- the folks in Lawrence would be ecstatic. It would also mean the AD, whether it's Long or someone else, wouldn't have to sell the next coach on the school or program, because it would be an attractive job.

exmediahack likes this.
  12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Kansas has not made a bowl game in 10 years

Assuming they lose to Texas, here are the seasons since that bowl appearance

5–7, 1–7
    3–9, 1–7
    2–10, 0–9
    1–11, 0–9
    3–9, 1–8
    3–9, 1–8
    0–12, 0–9
    2–10, 1–8
    1–11, 0–9
    3-9, 1-8

That's nine wins combined in the last five years. Miles could not try very hard and leave it in a better place in three years.

I'd also say this: Who in their right mind would want to take the job that is any good? If you are a young and up and coming coach, just right now, Colorado is a better job. Louisville is a better job. Maryland is a better job

Draft saved Draft deleted