1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018-19 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 4, 2018.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

But he only played 2/3 of the season. We don't know that Ohtani would have had a better OPS and OPS+ if he had 200 more PAs. We do know that he struck out more than Andujar did in 240 fewer PAs.

But, yeah, he pitched 51 whole innings. We don't know that he would have kept that shiny 3.31 ERA if he threw 100+ innings.

I'm impressed by how well he played both as a hitter and a pitcher. I'm not even saying he shouldn't have won. But to run away with it like that considering how little he played is surprising considering the year that Andujar had.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't see anybody arguing that Ohtani shouldn't have won the award. If he was the best choice, why shouldn't he get most or all of the first-place votes, thus making it look like a runaway?

3. bigpern23

I'm surprised that many writers all thought he was the best choice when he played 33 percent fewer games than the guy who led all rookies in most hitting categories. Typically, a large disparity in games played hurts a player's candidacy for postseason awards.

Andujar led all rookies in hits, doubles, extra-base hits, multi-hit games and homers (tied), and he was second in runs and batting average (I know, I know, OBP and OPS certainly trump BA). I would think that's enough to at least make him arguably ALROY.

Yet barely anyone made that argument, basically because of the novelty of Ohtani pitching pretty well for 10 games. I find that surprising.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Marlins Man is gonna need to get a new jacket.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

He seems so happy. He has no idea.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

9. bigpern23

Not sure I like this for the Yankees. Trading a top pitching prospect who is finally ready to contribute to the big club for an arbitration-eligible 30-year-old with a career 3.50-ish ERA doesn't feel like a move that will push the Yankees into the World Series. Guy has never thrown 200 innings in his career and is a free agent after 2020.

I can only surmise that Cashman doesn't think much of Sheffield, even if just about every prospect report rates him among the top 15 in baseball.

Feels like a desperation move.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

A lot of the scouting people view Sheffield at best as a No. 3, where Paxton has had stretches where he has shown to be a No. 1 and makes for a great No. 3 if you go:

Severino
    Tanaka
    Paxton
    TBA
    Sabathia

The team just won 100 games and lost to the eventual champs in the ALDS. They were in the ALCS the year before. They don't need that big of a push to get to the World Series.

I'd also say -- who out there free agency wise is better? And you need two slots to fill anyway, so if that other spot is Patrick Corbin, then your weak link is a fifth starter who had a 3.65 ERA in 29 starts. I'll take my chances with that rotation any day

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Any thoughts about the Orioles hiring Elias?

Hopefully a major step in the right direction.

Now he and the two Angelos sons have to get rid of the influence of Brady Anderson.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

If he slots in after Tanaka, it's a bad deal. I haven't heard that about Sheffield, and even if it's true, word was he's the one everyone wanted in deals. If Paxton were 2 years younger, I'd love it. Now? Not so much.
    Sign Corbin or Kuechel - whoever is willing to take 3 or 4 years, make a lesser deal to get someone (they have other prospects teams want) at #4 - or just resign Happ, and have Sheffield and Montgomery ready to step in when CC gets hurt or ineffective in June/July.

Draft saved Draft deleted