1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No election results in print

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Our Gannett shop will push deadlines back past 10 p.m. for 7 p.m. college basketball tips, 11 for 7 p.m. college football. We went without HS football results on Saturdays until the second round of the state playoffs.

We used to push deadlines much more sporadically. It affected our readers' expectations. Sometimes, late high school results got in because they happened on the same night as a college basketball game. Other times, bigger HS events got snubbed.

I'm among those who wish we'd cut bait and go to 7 p.m. all week, which was the original plan 18 months ago. We are not competing for daily print readers on any front. We compete for digital readers on probably 4-5.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Waiting to see what our local DFM paper will do in print. Right now, sports is, unfortunately, a mess. Roundups of two day old games and Friday night football on Sundays. They covered the Series (neither team was in this area) with a standalone photo from each game and a "check online" tease as part of the cutline, which is all they could do. Imagining it will be the same routine when the G League team (a big deal here) opens next week.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Does anyone who sees "check online" actually go the the newspaper site for anything not hyper-local? If I don't see a score on a pro or NCAA game, I'm going to a sports site, not podunkpress.com.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My local Gannett paper looks like it was designed in five minutes. Simple photos with massive text blocks, don't give the readers any eye candy whatsoever. If only they could embed tweets like every single online story.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember reading somewhere many years ago that predicted the last newspaper would be printed in 2030 or thereabouts.

We're almost in the 2020s. We'll be seeing a lot of print products going away very soon.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm surprised dailies just don't use the mail, considering the paucity of breaking news. Figure they arrive at the local post office by 8 p.m., you'd be fine.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Interesting editorial choices. Gannett will delay a deadline until 11:00 P.M. for college football but not a mid-term election.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'm curious if readers here will make that connection in the Wednesday paper, that the college basketball game that started at 7 pm will be in print, but the election results were too late.

I'm sure many won't and the editors will consider that a victory, when it will be more of a display of how little is expected out of them as circulation continues to plummet.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Small daily I worked at in northern Michigan was delivered by mail, because of all the trouble they had finding/dealing with carriers. This was 1999-2002. The Cadillac News was ahead of its time!

Actually, we just had to get the papers to the Post Office (a couple blocks away) before 3 or 4 a.m. and it was delivered with that day's mail. Problem was, we were a morning paper, but many subscribers didn't get the paper until their mail was delivered midday or later. And of course, no Sunday mail delivery, so we were six days a week with a Saturday "weekend" edition that had all the inserts.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I suspect many sites will roll out explanatory columns in the Sunday papers, spelling out the plans and whys for this all.

Given the heat for the Sinclair stations being force-fed the same message a few months back, I will be curious to see how many of the same talking points will be used across Gannett for this topic.

11. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser New Member

Listen, I’m an absolute hard ass when it comes to this — one of our base responsibilities as a paper is to follow an election. This is where, as WashPo reminds us, “Denocracy dies in the dark.”

My last election at my paper was the 2016 General. I was allowed to move my deadline from 9 pm to 11 pm. I just shrugged and said “save your money we’ll be off the floor by 9. If I can’t get the results in the paper, there’s no reason to wait.”

When I told you I dealt with calls from 9 am until 4 pm of “why aren’t the results in the paper” “why isn’t there a big picture of Mr Trump on your cover” (I opted for 3 col vertical headshots of Trump and Clinton) and my answer was always polite and replayed dozens of times that day. “I’m sorry, our parent company and printer would not allow us to have a deadline that would allow us to get the full and accurate results. No this wasn’t my decision. You can find the results on our web site but it sounds like you already know who won. No I’m not going to cover TUESDAY’S election in THURSDAY’s edition”

So TL;DR, I believe very few people are going to go to these papers respective web sites because they’ll just turn on CNN or the local news when they get up at 6 am and see their paper didn’t bother to cover the election.

12. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Not to mention their election results pages were absolute trash.

Draft saved Draft deleted