1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Definitely. And though it’s early the Celtics may have been overhyped.

2. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Leonard is better on this Raptors squad than he was with the Spurs.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is hot take horseshit. The only difference is he's injury-free and healthy right now. He was tremendous when healthy with the Spurs as well.

But we'll see how long healthy holds out. His track record in that department is distinctly lacking.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Lakers 0-3 after ridiculous game vs. Spurs. Down 8 with minute left, tied it up on long LeBron 3. OT they go up 6 in final minute but Gay hits 3, LBJ misses 2 FTs, Mills hits, LeBron misses stepback. Still not worried....

I will say, as amazing as he is, LeBron's never dramatically improved his FT shooting (never above 80 percent) and it still bites him in the ass sometimes.

Game was entertaining as hell though.

5. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I felt like a tool. Forgot I had paused the game for a few minutes. Excitedly texted my dad when it looked like LA had put the Spurs away. Knew there was trouble when he replied "Where exactly are you at in the game?"

TigerVols likes this.
  6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

On the replay of Van Pelt's Sportcenter there was a stat that LeBron shoots something like 50% from the free throw line in late and close situations. Van Pelt added that LeBron takes jumpers and doesn't drive in those situations because he doesn't want to go to the line. Looking it up quickly, I found this thread on Reddit.

Is this a common criticism of LeBron?

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeah we'll need Elias but I bet there haven't been many times when a team blew an 8-point lead in a minute in regulation and then the other team blew a 6-point lead with a minute left in OT.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

What is league FT percentage without those circumstances and does the percentage drop to high fifties for the league under those circumstances?

It takes the wow factor out of the stat, but it’s honest journalism.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Blake Griffin with a tidy little 50-14-6 line last night against Philly. A full season of him and Drummond together could make Detroit pretty damn tough in the East.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

This is a small sample size. It has happened 28 times in 15 years or one occurrence a year. His career percentage is 73.9% in the regular season and 74.3% in the playoffs. If he had hit five more freet hrows in tese situations he would have hit 75% and been above his career average for free throw percentage.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hmm. Archaeologists will note this is the first time “Blake Griffin” and “full season” have ever appeared in a sentence together.

Hermes and Cosmo like this.
  12. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted