1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI badly needs an NBA editor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jim lefko, Oct 21, 2018.

1. jim lefko

jim lefko New Member

So I’m excited to devour the new Sports Illustrated NBA preview and the first thing I notice is they predict 5 Western Conference teams to lose in the first round. That’s one helluva prediction, and also impossible.

Then I start reading the team-by-team predictions and it really gets bad for SI. Apparently no one told the designer that white type in a gray screen is next to impossible to read. Since most of the team boxes are done precisely that way, they are rendering illegible much of the content.

Amazing how far this mag has fallen in recent years.

They are doing their best to drive savvy sports fans away with sloppy editing and inane, unreadable design.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  2. There are still some good NBA writers at SI (particularly Rob Mahoney) but it's going to be borderline impossible to fill the Lee Jenkins void.

3. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

SI badly needs, like, everything

BartonK likes this.
  4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Which 5 teams do they have losing in the 1st round? Haven't read it yet, but looks like they do profiles on each team. Do they do a bracket
    with picks for each round?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Considering the average age of the readership - I'm astounded at some of their color and font choices on a now bi-weekly basis. Small type is fine as long as you have a decent enough contrast between colors. If people can't read it, why go to any effort to write it in the first place?

6. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

*most

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I gave up on my SI subscription when they kept reducing the number of issues. I usually like the NBA preview, so I was going to buy the current issue at the grocery store. It's not a particularly thick issue, and the retail cost: $5.99. I'll skip it.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When they went to bi-weekly, the promise was a heftier mag. The avg. page count per month has dropped about 40 pages since the switch.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When we were kids (well, most of us), you had a better chance of finding a $100 bill in your SI than a typo. There was a typo in a subhead recently.

Now that it's biweekly, I think I can live without it. And I never thought I'd say that in my lifetime.

10. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

I realized over the weekend that my subscription ran out and they just stopped sending issues. They're not even doing the aggressive "renew now" letters offering you a gym bag anymore.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Internet obliterated SI’s niche. With sites like ESPN and shows like SportsCenter as the overall news source and The Athletic hitting the deep feature spot, what’s SI’s place in the market? And do people even buy the regular edition from the newsstand in 2018? (We won’t talk about the swimsuit issue. It’s a different breed of cat.)

The people who own The Sporting News recognized this years ago. Does Gannett still put out whatever Baseball Weekly morphed into? It has the same problems — lack of immediacy and other outlets going deeper than it can.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

SI had a place in the market because it was SI. The cover meant something, the takeouts and investigations got people's attention and the staff was second to none. Immediacy around live events is harder for a weekly mag now, but you could read their Super Bowl/Masters/whatever coverage four days after the fact and often learn something new because the reporters were so good. And of course the photography was great. But they haven't given themselves a fair shot by slashing staff, pages and frequency -- the familiar media game plan. I just think it's a cheap out to say "the internet killed them."

Draft saved Draft deleted