1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

No, that sign does not tell me that.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It does not. That is true. But if the sign started "White people, we welcome you and thank you for your presence, however, we ask kindly that..." at a rally to protest the murder of black people by white cops, it would be pretty fucking weird.

I mean, a white person shouting "I can't breathe!"... Like, I feel a hot flash of shame just thinking about it. Those people need to be told off.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Well-intentioned white folks have a habit of showing up for these events - protests, marches, sit-ins, etc. - and assuming an entitlement to leadership roles.

Unless you're part of the organization sponsoring the event, it's always best just to show up and ask politely what you can do to help. Then do it.

As the rules illustrated in the photo make clear.

2muchcoffeeman and typefitter like this.
  4. poindexter

Well, like you said, Republicans will take anyone from Nazis to purients who call their wives "mother" and not bat an eye, if they are against Roe v. Wade.

Lefties will swings bats against each other, usually over the same "shut up, you don't have it as bad as me" theme. I've read this so many times on sites like jezebel, my head hurts.

And the election results speak for themselves.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Except that these kinds of signs and statements go right into the fear that people on the right then use as scare tactics. It becomes:

“See diversity is a myth. As soon as the blacks/gays/women/illegals are in power they will subjugate you. Here is the proof. Look at South Africa!”

It is literally the things that have shaped Donald Trump.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. typefitter

That's what happens, I think. White people aren't used to be excluded in any way from anything. It's never happened in their lives. So when they're told to take a back seat, it seems insulting to them. Meanwhile, they get to experience 0.0000000001 percent of what minorities experience every day of their lives.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Sometimes being “inclusive” requires you to welcome people on their terms, not yours.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. poindexter

You really think that white people showed up to a Black Lives protest - in Oakland, CA - In OAKLAND - and tried to wrest control of the protest?

Really????

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Exactly.

In a lot of ways, white folks have a real blind spot even when it comes to the causes they hold most dear.

All that sign means to do is short circuit the unconscious impulse to play the "white savior."

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. typefitter

You're right, we agree. I just think that in this instance, it's totally understandable.

And here we've reached the problem with progressive politics in a nutshell: our definitions of "instance" and "understandable" vary widely. The left is a group that celebrates, sometimes to its detriment, its differences. The right finds core issues upon which to agree and ignores everything else. And the people at the top of the right play those single-issue voters right to the bank, and then trot out some dumb shit about the "American dream" to keep the peace. I don't think Trump or McConnell or any of those fuckers give an actual shit about abortion or gun rights. They know that enough voters do to keep them in power and in a place to line their pockets.

Christ. Does anyone here think Trump hasn't paid somebody to have an abortion? He doesn't give a shit about abortion.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No one said that.

12. typefitter

I have no idea, but I can't imagine anyone making a sign to outline rules that have never been broken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.