1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jan 1, 2018.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

True. I mean Hogan was in his 40s when they mocked him in the nwo years and around 53 when he worked HBK and that was a mess....so I could see on some level, for Shawn, working with the current roster makes no sense because if he wins at his age hes burying them and if he doesnt its predictable.

So I get how he rationalizes “I can work my fellow old guys, continue to tell this Taker story, and it exists in its own little bubble, doesnt hurt the roster or my honor on the retirement match.”

It makes a lot of sense. More than a lot of stuff WWE does. But something about him staying retired and being the guy who respects the retirement match feels better. That Saudi money tho......

Batman and Baron Scicluna like this.
  3. John B. Foster

I do not believe I have done this before....

What is your first wrestling memory?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What? No Benoit? ( ducking)

I'd put JBL on that list instead of New Day. I'd also have Taker over Rock, even though the show is named after him. Just a much longer run.

John B. Foster likes this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

I may have said this before, but watching World Class on a UHF channel.

Kids in my class were going nuts for Hogan and Mr. T, but I couldn't find the WWF on TV for a while. I ended up finding WCCW, and, not knowing anything about wrestling, started watching it. The first thing I recall was Jim Cornette interfering in a Midnight Express match and getting them the win when his tennis racquet was used as weapon.

I thought what I saw was a legit sport and spent several days reading the sports section and watching ESPN and the nightly news because I was sure they would cover such a bizarre ending to a game. Eventually, I found WWF shows and started to figure out that something was up when the big muscle guys kept squashing the short skinny guys.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Watching WWF matches from the Spectrum on Philadelphia-area cable channel Prism. They'd televise the monthly house shows and I'd always watch them with my dad. Bob Backlund was champ, and one of the earliest matches I remember him in was against Big John Studd. Can't remember the exact year, but it was probably around 1982. I think Studd might have been doing his body slam challenge at the time.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  7. John B. Foster

First match I watched involved Bruiser Brody in the 70s(forgot his opponent) however, I have been hooked since.

8. JimmyHoward33

I vividly remember Wrestlemania 7.

I must have seen some TV leading up to it to get my parents to buy it, but I cant remember anything as to what it wouldve been.

9. John B. Foster

I’ve asked this about Hogan, so I will ask this about another legend. Could Bobby the Brain Heenan be an outstanding/successful manager in this day and age like he was during his time?

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is mine, too.

I think the first match I remember is Superfly Snuka vs. Magnificent Muraco in a strap match.

I also have vivid early memories of the Tito Santana-Greg Valentine feud.

clintrichardson likes this.
  11. JimmyHoward33

Its bonkers to me that Taker works 28 minutes and Brocks last three matches combined equals like 35.

12. Baron Scicluna

I think he could be, but it would have to be with the right wrestler and character. Someone like Braun could work, but I'd think he'd be better with Mr. Fuji.

Heenan would be good with someone like Bobby Roode, who is like an Orndorff/Rick Rude personality, or someone like Samoa Joe, who is an ass kicker.

As a broadcaster, he could fit right in. I could see him and Gorilla on Prime Time, talking about today's stars. I could see him talking up Elias as the greatest musician in the world, or complain about how crazy Ambrose is or talk about Heyman as his close personal friend.

John B. Foster and JimmyHoward33 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted