1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wilson! Wilson! (Teen survives 49 days adrift in Pacific on small fishing shack)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Sep 24, 2018.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Shit. That would be awesome.
    50 cases of beer. Few cases of Chef Boyardee. The Pink Floyd Ultimate Discography.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Looks like that shack has a cable antennae on top.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

while floating on a flimsy shack

Is it actually flimsy if it survived a 49-day ocean voyage?

Spartan Squad likes this.
  5. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Of course humans cannot survive on seawater, splashing it upon clothes does not remove the dissolved salt. The story is bullshit.

Vombatus likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Ultimate Man v. Wild. The Saltwater Enema.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The Pacific is not the Sahara Desert. There is fresh rainwater to be trapped and drunk. The story may be badly written, but you gotta do better to debunk it.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

That . . . vessel . . . looks like it would be hard-pressed to make it the length of a swimming pool. That it survived seven weeks on the open seas is unfreakinreal.

9. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

I guess it is possible that his ordeal was real but the story is bullshit. I checked several of the news outlets that reported this story and while a few did not mention this, those that did specifically cited him soaking his clothes in seawater or using his clothes to strain out seawater. No mention of rainwater. None of these outlets had a editor that said wait a minute, I went to jr. high school, you cannot desalinate seawater using fabric. Sad!

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't mean you specifically, just in general. I came off kinda harsh. But yes, the story was seriously lacking.

Draft saved Draft deleted