1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jan 1, 2018.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

We'd boo the fuck out of him and his weak-ass leg drop finisher.

John B. Foster likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think at first, he would be cheered because he came back after being away for 3 years, and he came back as a face instead of a heel. Plus, he went against a heel champ who had a lot of heat.

But fans would have tired of him pretty quickly, and, if he continued the Hulkamania role, he would have been booed against Piper and Savage. And fans would be all over him for his workrate.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He’d get X-Pac/Vickie Guerrero heat.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

It’d play like Cena in the Umaga years, before the respect that came after the Punk feud and the US open challenge.

Audience has changed. In the 80s my dad didn’t give two craps about Hogan, he kind of smiled and nodded along. Today, we go the shows by ourselves to make noise and/or try to stop ourselves from “well actually Roman sucks” at our kids.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think it would depend greatly on whether he had been replaced in the timeline - if there was a Bulk Bogan - followed by a line of imitators / similarly booked folks, or if he was one of the first to be booked that way still.

JimmyHoward33 and John B. Foster like this.
  6. JimmyHoward33

Pro Wrestling Is Great, And You Should Try Watching Less

Light Sunday reading. Found this thing really thought provoking. Its impossible not to criticize the product sometimes but there is so much of it....and we watch it....the mindset that not every finish hangs in the balance of the entire world does help you enjoy it more I think

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Interesting read, thanks for posting.

As a kid, I used to watch and read anything wrestling-related, but now, there's so much out there, it's impossible to keep up. Sometimes I think that I'm missing something great, and it's almost like there's pressure to try to keep up with everything.

Now, I mostly limit myself to WWE PPVs, watch some of their old matches and a few of their behind the scenes shows. I watch Raw, but I flip away frequently to baseball or MNF. I try to find time to watch Smackdown, and find it to be a better paced show. I read some of the stuff on indies like I used to with the Apter mags, but not as much.

There's also a trade off. On the one hand, a lot of the matches and storylines are predictable. Yet, if you saw these matches, even the midcard ones 30 years ago, it'd blow everyone's mind.

There's also, as you noted, the idea that every finish matters. We're so inured into thinking Vince is trying to bury every indy fave that we get pissed off if one of them loses. The problem is that if we've all got our way, guys would be unbeaten for five years. Someone has to lose.

John B. Foster and Batman like this.
  8. JimmyHoward33

Its weird for me because so much of my personal fandom is routine based. I probably listen to 6 plus hours a week of wresting podcasts. Which if you add to 6, sometimes 10, hours of tv less whatever i dvr FF thru, is a shit ton of time. On the face of it, thats insane.

But the podcasts are during exercise time, and music has become mundane, so I’d just be listening to sports radio, which is just as mundane and repeatitive as wrestling talk. And the news is freaking depressing too, I dont want CNN on the treadmill.

9. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

10. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

“There’s so much filler built into every show that I wonder how I ever had the patience for it. Was it always this way? I’m never going to try to find out.”

I feel like my mind is being read.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

12. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

I think we just watched a comedy spot in the next RR.

Draft saved Draft deleted