1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Chain Restaurant

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They just opened a Publix (well, in May) across the bridge that leads into Surf City/Topsail. One more reason to move there

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Publix has opened several locations around Richmond, though none are convenient for me yet. I already have five grocery stores within a two-mile drive of the house, so I'm not going out of the way to go to Publix. My one experience there was similar to what has been reported here: The prices are high, but the deli is super legit.

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Ah, yes. That brings grest memories. Nothing like a delicious Publix sub after a long day in the sun and near the water.

4. Severian

They need to move closer to the DMV. I have no doubt they can best the competition.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Wegmans >>>>> Publix.

6. Moderator1

Well, yeah. Wegman's is better than just about anything. New one a couple of miles from my daughter's house. Drinking Wegman's coffee as I type.

7. Severian

Debatable.

Publix has amazing brand items and deli. The stores are clean and the customer service is good.

Wegman's got the good, hot food. That's all I know.

8. Moderator1

I love Publix, let's be clear. But Wegman's has all that and more. Best coffee going, their K-Cups are almost free and excellent on top of that. Stores are spotless, customer service over the top good. Again, I love Publix. But if there's one of those on one corner and a Wegman's on the other, I'm going to Wegman's 100 times out of 100.

I need to grocery shop today. Closest Wegman's is 50 miles away. I may just go. I usually save my Wegman's runs for when I'm visiting the kids.

9. Moderator1

I've been corrected via email - there's a fairly new Wegmans much closer to me. It is 28.3 miles away. Still not making the trek today but it is good to know.
    Also, I always thought it was Wegman's but the website lists it as Wegmans. I stand corrected again!!

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I didn't get to try a sandwich either time I went to Publix. What makes them so good? It looked like they use the Boarshead meats and cheeses, which a lot of places use. Is it the bread? Something else?

And I agree that Wegmans is pretty hard to beat for groceries.

11. Severian

I will admit: I have never visited a Wegman's. Two close friends and a coworker, who lived in Buffalo, N.Y., swear by the store. The way they described it, the store sounded like the north's version of Publix. I'd be curious to try the food there.

The deli bakes it's own bread and uses fresh produce. Publix uses Boar's Head, but its meats and cheeses are just as good. There's also a lot of customization you could do to your sandwich. The crown jewel of the Publix deli is its chicken tender sub.

In December, The Thrillist named the sandwiches from Publix the best in the country. That should give you some better context about the sandwiches.

I don't live near a Publix anymore, but, when I go back to the south, I always make sure to visit.

Iron_chet likes this.
  12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Wegmans brand products are so good.

Their fresh selection of seafood is awesome.

Their cheeses and cold cuts and produce are top notch.

Their beer and wine selections are incredible. The one near me even has a bar attached to it.

Their subs are outstanding, too, as are their prepackaged meals. And their hot buffets.

As Moddy says, their customer service is over-the-top good.

The only downside is it’s expensive. But it’s worth it.

Publix has great deli stuff, but the rest just looks like a regular supermarket. Might as well be a Safeway.

Draft saved Draft deleted