1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 NFL off-season thread: Mr. Alex Smith goes to Washington

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 30, 2018.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Wasn't building statues, and only expect him to start until Allen is ready. I was merely pointing out that the phrase "who's only regular season experience is throwing five interceptions in a half" is incorrect (in more ways than the typo).

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

So only half of his regular season experience is throwing five interceptions. Got it, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play otherwise?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When are we going to put a fork in this thread?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

No need to build statues.

A snowman, perhaps ...

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm sure the Ravens will appreciate his presence Sunday.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I suspect "until Allen is ready" is going to be a really entertaining standard.

7. WTF is Gruden doing? Angling for a personnel job in Cleveland?

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Way too early to judge. But based on his “old school” ways in a very different NFL than a decade ago, I’d be a bit concerned I just flushed $100 million down the crapper.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The Raiders, as a whole, are burning all their bridges in Oakland and building for the move to Las Vegas.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I get the sense that Gruden is exerting as much personell control as he is allowed and McKenzie is going along with it. I don't have a problem with moving Mack if you don't have the cash to sign him long term, I do have a problem waiting until the end of training camp to do so.
    Gruden seems as if he's on a mission to "re-set" football to the way it was. I think he's a bit over his skis. I don't know if the team is buying in either.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I get dealing Mack, too, but if you're stripping the team down to rebuild, why spend a third-rounder this year on Bryant and a fifth-round pick in 2019 on McCarron? Even if Bryant hadn't failed miserably and didn't have another suspension pending, he was due to be a free agent after this season. McCarron is a nice backup for a contender, but I don't get investing in him as part of a rebuild. It seems like there is a lack of a coherent plan, which may be a function of the coach and GM not being on the same page.

Also, I just enjoy bringing up the Bryant move again because it's quite the disaster and the Raiders bailed the Steelers out of a bad situation there.

Draft saved Draft deleted