1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And don't call me Mormon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 27, 2018.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

It wasn't that bad growing up. Come home from school and go "Hi Dad! Hi Mom! Hi Mom! Hi Mom! Hi Mom! Who are You? Mom? Really, Dad?" ............

2. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

One has issues keeping priests off of boys. The other has issues with polygamist cults. I imagine this is what they’re trying to run from. Unless I’m missing something.

3. daytonadan1983

We're the ones rooting for BYU and thought the Jazz had a chance against Jordan and the Bulls.

4. The LDS Church (yes, I am still going to refer to it that way) does not have issues with polygamist cults itself. It has issues with polygamists IF they still try to pass themselves off as Mormons, because they are two completely different things. Yes, the polygamists are rooted in the LDS Church. But it's not like they are a "branch" on the LDS tree, like, say, Jesuits are to Catholics. I hope that makes sense.

5. vicd

vicd Active Member

daytonadan1983, I apologize.
    Have you ever seen Tabloid by Errol Morris? I'd be curious if you ever heard the tale of Joyce McKinney and the kidnapped Mormon missionary?
    I would love to hear your tales of Sunday School if you'd feel like telling them.

6. daytonadan1983

Yeah, I heard that one....

Anyhow, as you know...Basically, Mormon was the last prophet in the Book of Mormon. He was also the military leader. IMO, he sucked at both, because the people were unrighteous and were obliterated in the final battle.

But Mormon finished his abridgment of the history, and it became the Book of Mormon.

My point: You can suck as a spiritual and military leader, but if you're a really good copy editor, you can still get a religion named after you...

The brethren appreciated that as much as me hanging a Florida Gators flag from my town home while they flew BYU and Utah flags.

And that's why I worked for the Salt Lake Tribune instead of the Deseret News and ran church basketball instead of teaching Sunday School. Worked out for all of us.

maumann likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That’d be true of Lutherans too though.

Draft saved Draft deleted