1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer - Grand Junction, Co.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Writer

Description:

The Daily Sentinel, an award-winning, 20,000-circulation daily newspaper in western Colorado, is seeking a candidate for a full-time sports writing and layout and design position.

The candidate will cover high school and Division II college sports, as well as an array of outdoor recreation. Grand Junction is the home of the Junior College World Series and the Grand Junction Rockies rookie baseball club. We want someone who will go far beyond reciting what happened in a game who will find and write compelling feature, trend and in-depth enterprise stories that delve into important topics that are of interest to our readers. We also want a creative person who will design attractive, compelling sports pages.

The successful candidate will:

• Be intimately familiar with AP style.

• Demonstrate well-developed reporting and writing skills.

• Demonstrate excellent spelling and grammar skills.

• Work quickly and accurate on deadline.

• Be proficient and creative in copy editing and layout and design. InDesign experience is preferred.

• Possess a strong knowledge of a wide variety of sports and outdoor recreation activities.

• Connect with student-athletes, parents, coaches and readers.

• Embrace a variety of methods of telling compelling stories, whether in print, through video or online.

• Use social media to promote coverage and aid in reporting.

Photography ability would be handy but is not required.

A bachelor degree's in journalism is preferred. Both those with experience working in the field and qualified recent college graduates are encouraged to apply.

Send a cover letter, resume and three to five writing samples to Sports Editor Dale Shrull at dale.shrull@gjsentinel.com. No phone calls, please.

The position offers a competitive salary, full benefits and a 401(k) plan. Applicants must pass a pre-employment background check and drug screen.

Grand Junction is the largest city in western Colorado and is roughly halfway between Denver and Salt Lake City. The area offers high quality of life with tremendous outdoor recreation opportunities — skiing, snowboarding, hunting, fishing, mountain biking, kayaking, rafting and more.

2. Jon Mitchell

Jon Mitchell New Member

This was my position. I've accepted a job at The News-Review in Roseburg, Oregon. If anyone has questions about the position, let me know!

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Was just over in Junction this weekend. Largest city in the state west of the Divide (60,000 or so). Outdoor activities galore.

And congrats, Jon.

Jon Mitchell likes this.
  4. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

I thought some of that stuff was legal in Colorado now ... *smirk*

5. Jon Mitchell

Jon Mitchell New Member

Funny thing is that Grand Junction, along with Colorado Springs, are among the few municipalities in Colorado that don't have a recreational dispensary. Not that you have to go far, though ... Palisade is a 20-minute drive from the city limits and De Beque and Parachute are only 45 minutes up I-70. That is, if you're into that kind of stuff ...

Draft saved Draft deleted