1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If readers don't stick around to finish stories, they aren't as likely to come back for more.

Lugnuts likes this.
  2. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

They seem to think their appeal is “We’ll write longer stories just because we can.” Sorry, no. 1,600 words on the Bengals’ tight end’s time remembering some cliche word of advice from his maw maw, or 2,300 words on the mindset of the 7th inning reliever of the Giants just ain’t gonna move the needle much, you great Athletic wordsmiths.

Lugnuts likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As much as we bitch about newsholes getting smaller and stories being cut - I remember a journo prof giving us newspapers to read in class one day and we were supposed to mark stories with where we stopped reading. Few stories were read beyond 20-30 inches.

4. Writer

Writer Member

I am surprised they haven't gotten into sports betting. At least one or two writers for it.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't think it even matters whether the product is "digital only" anymore, since newspapers are basically treating every story for online consumption (complete with shitty click-bait headlines). One of the Sunday sections I do will typically have 6-7 stories of 30+ inches. Some are Q&As on some college team that just go on and on and on and on and on and . . .

6. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

I’ll never understand the sports betting stans and their websites. They are a cocky bunch

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

And Person made it a few years before some guy named Sean McDermott.

8. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

sounds like a strategy that resonates with a certain subset of readers, judging by the subscription numbers i've heard. maybe it's not for you, but the newspaper traditionalists' biggest blindspot has long been its dismissal of any content that does not conform to the archetype of what is "acceptable" newspaper content. From Bill Simmons to video breakdowns to numbers-driven analysis they've already watched the world pass them by and yet they're still yelling from a mile back that everybody else is doing it wrong. Except, now, their voice doesn't matter enough for anybody to bother listening. But at least they've still got the APSE meetings.

9. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

Newspapers still travel to more stuff than the Athletic. My local city site, no travel to recent baseball road games. Newspaper was there.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

How does Bill Simmons wend his way into this conversation? You think local rags should be running columns on pop culture references, the college version of the Ewing theory and levels of gut punch losses?

11. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Well if what people really want is datelines, then I guess it should be easy to sell more digital subscriptions than them.

MNgremlin and FileNotFound like this.
  12. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Yep. Nailed it. Good contextual reading by you.

Draft saved Draft deleted