1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Forgot the sarcasm font. If that's still even a thing around here. Anyway, I believe pitch count can be a valuable decision-making tool. I don't think MLB managers should be limited to that one piece of information in their decision-making.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'd guess that all of them are. Scrubability (scrubbability?) is a mirage.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

There's an underlying belief in all this that an 18-year-old's thought processes remain the same as he matures. And I see many, many instances where that's not the case.

A Trea Turner or a Josh Heder might have grown up in an atmosphere where offensive, homophobic comments were considered manly, the thing you do among your peers. We've all seen the "dumb jock" mentality among teenagers.

I'd give some consideration to the fact that they've risen above it and realize it was wrong.

lakefront likes this.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As peer groups go, there isn’t a dumber one than teenage baseball players.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I get that, but I probably should have explained my point better. In many ways, athletes of today are in far better shape and should be able to do more, but pitchers aren't allowed to build themselves up to throwing that many pitches. When you ask an athlete to do something he isn't normally asked to do, that is when the body can be put at greater risk of injury. None of that is exactly news. My point was that Ryan probably could and would scoff at the notion that Newcomb had thrown too many pitches, but it wouldn't be all Newcomb's fault if he couldn't.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

In light of the recent events I went back through my timeline and was stunned at the ugly things I thought and said back in my teenage years. In an effort to join the "pack mentality" of HS, I recall getting into my buddy's pickup to "go look for some Mexicans". Terrible, awful thoughts. I dislike hearing about these tweets but I think we need to understand when and where they were when they said those things and hope, hope they no longer feel that way.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm glad their time in minor league and major league baseball clubhouses since high school has made them into wise men who understand the damage of racism and homophobia.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You can always hope (and give them the benefit of the doubt to start)

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

They're not John Rocker until they say John Rocker-like things.

10. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

I recently went back and did the same. After I had deleted 30 tweets, I scrubbed everything up until a few years ago just to be safe. I tweeted some dumb crap.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.