1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Jul 20, 2018.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Per Huffington Post, all employees to be laid off will be informed at the end of the day. Some bought suitcases to the meeting in the newsroom this morning.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Seems like a once proud paper is on its way to becoming a Gawker-esque Web-only operation. These times, man.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's brutal to watch. This is a paper that has nearly gone under several times over the last 3 decades. But even with that, this is really hard to watch. I feel bad for all the people who are going to be displaced, and it's also tough seeing a New York institution be so diminished.

I can't help but wonder if this actually might create an opportunity for another provider, not so much with regard to sports coverage, where maybe the Athletic will benefit, but in terms of local NYC coverage.

With the Daily News diminished, and DNAinfo and Gothamist both being killed off in the last year (even though WNYC brought back a scaled down version of Gothamist), I am wondering if there may be a small area for someone in local NYC coverage that could develop -- purely digital. I don't know how much someone would realistically have to consider putting up as an investment to see if it can be built and turn into positive cashflow relatively quickly, but if there was a commitment to doing it with more resources than what the Daily News is going to work with, I am wondering if an untapped market might be left in New York, where people will pay up a bit for better coverage, either on a circulation or advertising or mixed model basis. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone do it, or try to buy the Daily News name to do it. The problem is the debt and liabilities that Tronc took on when it made the Daily News its problem. I don't know how you value the business, but the debt might outweigh anything anyone will realistically pay, unless they can somehow make the New Jersey printing plant (and I am not sure how) that was supposedly at the heart of things for them into an asset that covers most of that lingering debt, while they monetize the Daily News name for whatever it is worth.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    gingerbread likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

Frank Isola one of the sports cuts.

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

There's a Facebook group for displaced journos called What's Your Plan B? that I recommend.

I remember when the Tribune had a deal to sell the DN to that fraud Maxwell in the early 90s, until he drowned.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Daily News isn't going to travel for sports?

Sports used to be one of the major battlegrounds between the tabloids.

Hell, they all overpaid Lupica at one point to get him to switch papers. This is stunning. I can't imagine what it's going to look like.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  8. HanSenSE

Photo editor.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They've got some balls tweeting, and pinning, this 23 hours ago:

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm sorry to hear this news. I'm surprised that it didn't happen decades ago. I remember a veteran newspaper guy predicting this back in the 70's. Now that we're here, I'm really hurt and speechless. This prestigious low paying industry sucks.

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Really no words. An awful day for a New York City institution. So many talented people are out. The latest of a shitty decade-plus in this biz.

I didn’t think there could be a company worse than Gannett. Fuck tronc.

gingerbread likes this.
  12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Half the staff. Sort of like what Thanos did in the Avengers flick. The snap of a finger. Damn.

Draft saved Draft deleted