1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doxxing, or who deserves anonymity

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 19, 2018.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone's ever been catfished here, which isn't too surprising, given how few females we have here -- though that might also make this place a ripe target.

We have had at least three marriages though, so I suppose we've been lucky in that regard.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.

I said that. That's mine.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  3. YankeeFan

Again, using this place as an example, in some circumstances, not advocating for outing anyone.

The "call to authority" thing is interesting though. This is one thing @typefitter an @Dick Whitman used to squabble about. Type thought we should defer to experts, while Dick though the strength of the argument should suffice.

I thought you were more in Type's corner on this, though that's not what you are saying here. And, you usually put a high priority on "motives".

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I understand that it is largely theoretical, but a discussion of outing does relate to SJ.com as well.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

We've had three marriages from here?

7. outofplace

I honestly didn't know where either of them stood on that issue. I lean toward the strength of the argument. You thought different because I call you out on your ignorance regarding journalism, but I base that on the content of your posts and your lack of experience, not just your lack of experience. Also, you admit it freely. There is no guesswork. I don't think there is any reason to believe that you are or were a journalist and lying when you say otherwise. That isn't the same as claiming expertise. If you want to question anything I post based on my professional experience, by all means do so.

I do post quite a bit about motives and I base that on what people post here. I'm far more likely to consider your words on this site than anything you claim about your professional or personal experience.

And again, I think the rules here are relevant to a discussion of outing, even if it is purely theoretical. They aren't all that matter, but they do matter.

8. YankeeFan

Don’t ask me to out anyone!

9. outofplace

I know of one and I believe a poster has written about another that is in the works. I'm avoiding names because, joking aside, I don't want to step over the line on outing.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I had no idea...IIRC, Good Doctor and spup met here. Did that happen? No idea of the other two. Nice.

11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

It would get called a d_b so fast.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

The Times takes a look at the Sleeping Giants doxxing, and interviews the principles.

Draft saved Draft deleted