1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubman

cubman Member

Until the Indians do anything in October, I'll reserve judgment. Should they win at least one playoff series? Yes. They will run away with that terrible division, but right now they're at best the fourth-best team in the AL. If I'm an Indians fan, and I know a lot of them, I'm cautiously optimistic at best after the past two years.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

They were a goddamn bloop single away from winning Game 7 of the World Series.

And please say you're not a Cubs fan questioning the postseason bona fides of another team.

3. cubman

cubman Member

They also had three chances to finish and didn't. Then they had three chances to finish off the Yankees and didn't. Just saying, and I know it all too well myself, being good now doesn't always mean a ton. I watch a lot of Indians games living in Ohio and at this point, they're probably the fourth-best team in the AL. Good thing for them is one of those other three will get knocked out in the wild card game, but still.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Indians might have been the fourth-best team headed into the postseason in 2016. They had the second-best record, but were a depleted team with Carlos Carrasco out for the season and Trevor Bauer cutting his hand on a drone. Nevertheless, they persisted.

Last year they might have been the best team heading into the postseason. They crashed and burned.

So who cares where they slot as the playoffs begin. Getting in is all that matters.

5. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Our long national nightmare is over (cards and cubs fans already ended theirs yesterday). Baseball tonight!!!

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. How would the behavior of the bachelorettes stand out from the other fans at Wrigley Field? Excessive drinking?
    2. Back when WGN wasn't WGN America, the Cubs won their division and made the playoffs in a year I don't remember which. So postgame there's a live remote from one of the bigger and more horrible bars in Wrigleyville. Drunk twenty something guy in Cubs jersey gives obligatory "this is great" soundbite, then drags a reasonably attractive young woman, also drunk, also in Cubs jersey, on camera. "This is X," guy says. "We got married this morning. This is where we're having the reception." Reporter is stunned, which the guy takes for disbelief. "No really, here's my father-in-law," he says. Older fat guy also in Cubs jersey, is too drunk to talk, so he nods. Back to the studio we go, despite this being the best postgame show in sports history.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    justgladtobehere and Batman like this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I had my bachelor party at a minor league ball game. It was the best time. We might have been a little obnoxious but we were isolated. I haven't been that drunk since that day. Just let it happen. It's a good time they won't forget (unless they're doing it right).

9. TheSportsPredictor

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Nothing happening in Anaheim.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Nevermind. Upton singles with one out in seventh.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Matt Carpenter was 5-for-5 with three homers and two doubles in the sixth inning and the Cardinals had a 15-1 lead when he was removed from the game. How do you not let him bat again?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.