1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jan 1, 2018.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, at least two.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hassan got legitimate heat in the post-kayfabe era, so I'd say him.

But Sgt. Slaughter wasn't exactly a barrel of laughs in 1990-91. I'd think he still has some people pissed off at him today.

sgreenwell and John B. Foster like this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

If I'm recalling correctly, that's his second career match. His first one was the day before which was a win over the Brooklyn Brawler.

In his book from nearly 20 years ago, he said he knew he didn't know much, so he asked Brawler for help and Brawler did a basic match. The next night, he said Candido was much more advanced, so he knew he had to step it up.

Imagine if you were one of the fans at that Raw. You're watching some opening match guy who has some nice moves, but you figure is a jobber. 20 years later, he's a Hall of Fame wrestler and the top star in Hollywood. You never know.

Oh, and Tammy was at her peak of hotness back then.

4. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

I remember hearing about the death threats and how he needed personal security at home. Major balls by Slaughter for playing that gimmick.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I saw Angle in Orlando before he debuted on TV. Didn't know much about him at all obviously.

John B. Foster likes this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

I remember reading an AP story on him on the wire at work when he signed with WWF. He said he would work his Olympic experience into his character. Obviously, he did.

7. Baron Scicluna

Will, it's either that, and collect main event paychecks at the twilight of his career or sit at home.

8. John B. Foster

How many can you name?

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Lawler and Kerry Von Erich are easy. Gagne is on the left. I think the guy next to him is Jarrett's dad (Jerry?). The announcer is Lee Marshall. That's all I got.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Those sweet G.I. Joe royalties weren't going to carry him through to retirement?

11. John B. Foster

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

If they’re doing an all womens ppv, Id like to know where, how big the arena is and hope to god its a really good crowd that won’t go into business for itself

Draft saved Draft deleted