1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 NFL off-season thread: Mr. Alex Smith goes to Washington

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 30, 2018.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

So if you’re Bell, you can do exactly what you did last year and maybe suck for a month, or you can try something else and maybe be better. Whats the upside to doing it the same as last yr, which didn’t reward him with a Super Bowl or a contract?

2. Bell is talking about having his best season yet, you would think would include playing the whole season.
    If he's going to be a FA, you'd think he want to put up some numbers to inflate his value.
    I suspect he'll play the whole season - so long as he is healthy. Prolly show up for some - if not all - of training camp.

3. The Big Lead has a neat breakdown of Rb payscale. Leads me to think Bell is taking a HUGe gamble that is unlikely to pay off.

The Running Back Salary Market Has Been Obliterated by Rookie Wage Scale

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is a risk even if he manages to repeat his production from 2017. What if he is injured again or has some other sort of trouble? What if his numbers just aren't quite as good?

One key question is how the Steelers will use Bell this season. One thought is to run him into the ground because they know he's leaving. This season is all that matters and you could argue that it is actually in the Steelers' best interest that Bell have as little left in the tank as possible for 2019 and beyond.

The other thought is that they need to see what they have in their other running backs. James Conner showed some flashes in 2018, but he needs to show he can be part of the passing game and that he is durable enough for a larger role. Jaylen Samuels could see some carries, but he's really more of an H-back. Conner and Samuels could be part of a committee approach in 2019, which we've seen work for the Eagles and Patriots, but it would help to test them in 2018.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

They want him healthy and fresh for December and January, so they are not going to overwork him unless it’s absolutly necessary.

Connor and Samuels should be overjoyed at how this is playing out. I would see if I had Shane Vereen’s phone number if I were the Steelers just in case.

6. Not sold on Connor. I want to like him, but I don't think he's going to be much more than a relief back.
    Hope Samuels develops. We'll see.

As I said before, I think Bell's value this season is going to be wideout/slot, pass catcher, than RB.

Bell's offer from Steelers was only $10 million in guaranteed money.
    Report: Final Le’Veon Bell offer had $10M fully guaranteed

7. Darrell Revis hangs it up. Announces retirement on Twitter.
    Probably 2 years too late.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Best Jet defender ever and played the NFL salary system perfectly to get paid.

9. outofplace

Pittsburgh Steelers, the amusement park?

Not really, but Kennywood Park is adding a Steelers Country section including The Steel Curtain, which will open in 2019. Looks like a fun ride.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Very true. One of the few players to get everything he wanted from Belichick (very big one year contract, wins Super Bowl) and then said sayonara. I honestly believe Belichick respected that. He's never badmouthed Revis.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I hear it has some great rides. Some all-timers, even. But it's never been as consistently good in the theme park power rankings as Six Flags New England.

12. outofplace

Well played.

Draft saved Draft deleted