1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better racism, less pizza, Papa Johns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Jul 12, 2018.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Too bad Fountains of Wayne is gone. You could have gone there.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This is a pretty common misconception - that all restaurant food here is more expensive.

It certainly can be, but the truth is New York City has more and better cheap, chowhound food than any other place in America.

And thanks to the internet, it's easier than ever to find.

In the old days it took a copy of the Village Voice and Timeout New York and a cast iron gut to find it.

Now you just Yelp it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Alma, lcjjdnh and FileNotFound like this.
  3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I regularly do takeout at Outback, mainly because it takes 20 minutes and the golf course I play after work is exactly 20 minutes from that Outback, which is five minutes from my house. They actually don’t make a bad sirloin for the cost.

garrow likes this.
  4. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Never know who you might run into.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm dating myself here but, about 30-35 years ago, Pizza Hut made a pretty good pizza.

But I imagine it cheapened its ingredients and cut prices as frozen pizza, Domino's and Little Caesars started to ding the market. Now it's...yuck.

And Papa John's is worse! Perhaps the worst! (Haven't had Domino's in many years, used to be trash.)

Where I live, my favorite local pizza joint makes a 16-inch one topping for $17. I'll take it any day.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The chain started in Wichita, and growing up in Kansas 20-25 years ago, you could taste a difference between shops that were among the first 30 or so locations and newer restaurants that opened up. I don't know exactly what it was, but I suspect some of the old franchise owners in tiny little towns didn't always follow directives from corporate headquarters if they thought it would hurt the quality.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Pizza Hut has had some outstanding ideas over the years, but often they don't stick with them.

About 15 years ago, they had a stuffed-type pizza called a Priazzo. I think there were four versions, and one was a spinach-and-feta mix. It was excellent.

More recently, they had the choose-your-own dough flavor and taste swirl, which really kicked up their pizzas. And they gave that up after a year or so.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but it was probably more like 30 years ago. My dad has written multiple letters asking Pizza Hut to bring back the Milano Priazzo (basically the meat lover's version). I know he's been upset about it at least since I was in Kindergarten.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

33. It was 1985.

jr/shotglass and Jake_Taylor like this.
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Arrrrgh!

11. georgealfano

georgealfano Active Member

I have an abiding philosophy in life:

If Pizza Hut is the best pizza where you live, MOVE

12. Big Circus