1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keys to Becoming a Beat Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by John Thomas, May 15, 2018.

1. ZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZ New Member

Matt, what advice would you give being a sports editor?

HockeyBeat likes this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I would say this is true. Given the time, energy and logistical flexibility required of the job (i.e., you will move A LOT for a few years as you climb the ladder), working a college or pro beat is not an old man's game. And that's not even including the fact that media outlets prefer to keep salaries down these days, which means younger and cheaper instead of older and experienced writers who have steadily climbed the salary scale.
    Are there many new beat writers over 35 anymore? It seems like more people work their way down the ladder than up it, thanks to layoffs and such.

All of that is to say, if working a major college or pro beat is your goal it's best to come in as high up the ladder as you can or at least be ready to move early and often the first few years. If you're 30 and still covering high schools in Podunk, you probably have missed your window.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I respect you and your news organization and the stances the people have taken. And so I ask ... do you agree it's expected that reporters and web producers better accept the fact they will be working 70 hours and being paid for 40 and there's a wink-wink aspect to all this that suggests if you are unwilling to work 70 and get paid for 40 and if you want one or two days off a week, please get out of my newsroom and don't come back? And I shouldn't say your newsroom, but the vast majority of newsrooms?

4. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Or if one of your employees files a lawsuit regarding not being paid overtime and points to this?

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Frederick no refer to Frederick as 'Frederick'?

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Do I agree with it? No. While interviewing candidates for our Broncos openings lately, I've asked everyone, "How do you take time for yourself?" I think doing that is important. I've been a beat reporter and the stress and the grind can overwhelm you at times. Even when you're off, you're on, because often you choose to be because there is this thought process of, "WHAT IF I MISS THAT MINOR TRANSACTION NEWS THAT SO-AND-SO GOT FIRST AND SOMEONE ELSE AT WORK COULD HAVE EASILY WRITTEN IT UP? THAT'D BE THE WORST THING EVERRRRR!" On one hand, that shows tremendous drive and dedication to becoming the best on the beat; on the other, you quickly burn yourself out. It can be sometimes hard to get beat reporters to take days off, even in the offseason, because they simply refuse to risk the 1 percent chance John Smith strains his calf while moving his couch and they don't get to break that news. I admire that passion, but I also want folks to be able to have some semblance of a life outside of the job, chance to spend time with family, etc. If something monumental breaks, then yeah, we may need you to work, but more times than you'd think, someone else can give you a breather and take it.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I do not mean this to be a smartass. Given recent staffing cuts at the Denver Post isn't the reality is that a beat job now basically turning into a 24/7 position, especially on the Nuggets and the Avalanche where as near as I can tell the Post only assigns one reporter?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm 60 years old and I've never known a big league beat reporter who didn't work 100-hour weeks. That's the job.

Also kind of an upset that we're on page 3 and no one has made a 'Marriott points' joke.

Alma and busch like this.
  9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Rick Reilly has used every conceivable "Marriot points" joke in his column. To use one here would have to be plagiarism.

10. Fredrick

Of course it's the job, but it should be illegal actually. I guarantee you these beat reporters have to fill out forms that indicate they work 40 hours and 40 hours only per week. that's why I said "wink wink." Truth is they work 100 hours as you said. What's more, they never get a raise and if they put overtime they will be forced out of the organization before long on some other technicality.

11. Fredrick

Thank you sir. I truly respect you and your company. However ... I think it's great you have that attitude that the reporter should have a "semblance of a life outside of the job." I do respect that attitude. Yet at the same time I am getting the vibe from your saying "it can be sometimes hard to get beat reporters to take days off," that you realize some of the employees are indeed working 70 to 90 hours a week and getting paid for 40.

Draft saved Draft deleted