1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

147th Open Walking Thread presented by Johnnie Walker Blue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The Open - The official site of The 147th Open at Carnoustie

Not necessarily my favorite tournament of the year, but easily my favorite broadcast of the year.

Also.........19 years on since this little debacle took place.

To this day, I still love Tirico's line. "You root against no one. You root for no one. But you've gotta hope that this goes in.........Just your everyday triple."

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

"Would somebody kindly go and stop him. Give him a large brandy and mop him down," is an all-time line.

Chef2 likes this.
  3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

"What are you doing? What on earth are you doing?"

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

When the French "elan" leads you to disaster. So sad. "Dude, just hit a wedge."

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

As a big of a fuck-up as it was, I've always admired Van de Velde for the way he handled it. It is just a silly game, and though it likely would have changed his life for the better, who knows? Perhaps it would have driven him mad in a quest to think he should contend in majors all the time. Golf is both wonderful and irrelevant at the same time, and you can both admire Nicklaus for what he did while also acknowledging that he's never held a particularly deep thought in his head for more than two seconds, and thus his scolding of JVV for saying "it's just a game" is right on brand.

playthrough, maumann and Chef2 like this.
  6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Legend has it that in the media center that day in 1999, a British golf writer, observing Van de Velde's meltdown, commented: "There's a reason the French have had to be bailed out of two wars this century."

HanSenSE, Chef2 and maumann like this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Not normally a fan of Golf Channel/NBC coverage, but I give them credit. They're basically wanting you to see every shot by every player.

1:30AM-4:00PM 7-19
    1:30AM-4:00PM 7-20
    4:30AM-3:00PM 7-21
    4:30AM-2:30PM 7-22

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

1. Woods
    2.McIlroy
    3. Garcia
    4. Koepka
    5. Fowler

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Rose
    Molinari
    Noren
    Stenson
    Aphibarat

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Molinari's the hottest golfer around right now, but if I had one bet to make, acknowledging that betting on one golfer is like betting on one raindrop on the window, it'd be Fleetwood.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This is them overcompensating for losing the U.S. Open to Fox.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but it is the Golf Channel. Why not give live coverage for as many hours as possible given that the cameras, crews and broadcasters are all over there anyway? Beats running still more instructional shows offering contradictory advice.

TigerVols and lcjjdnh like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted