1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stopping the next school shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Jun 25, 2018.

1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

If these are the kinds of people in charge we’re screwed.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

if only we could find a common thread among school shootings. Could there be something common to every shooting? Something that if we removed it from the equation would completely change the outcome.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Definitely singling out kids on the autism spectrum like the clowns in this story did. That’s one thing we can do.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Journalism question: If you claim you're protecting the identity of the kid but you report that his middle name is Sanders, aren't you effectively outing him? All it takes is one classmate who attended the same middle school graduation ceremony and th secret is out.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't think they are protecting him from being outed to his classmates.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Maybe he has a unique first name that would make him instantly recognizable? And if he doesn't have many (or any) friends I don't know who would know his middle name unless as you're saying (I'm assuming) his middle name was printed in a graduation program.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm pretty confident @justgladtobehere is right - they're not worried about classmates. There are photos of the kid and face shots of his dad in the article. Everyone in the school is going to know who it is. I think they're just protecting against the future Google search.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

We are such a mess as a country right now.

Should a school division, which spends about 1,000 waking hours each year caring for a child, be able to tell the police or social services or whomever that they feel a kid might be a potential shooter someday? Common sense says hell yes, even if they are right only 10% of the time. The kid in this story pretty much fits the mold and those scissors creep me out. Of course there will be NRA backlash and schools will argue that they know the child better than almost everyone because they see the child in certain situations.

So the bottom line is the schools want to report to law enforcement possible future crimes.

Just today the superintendent of Boston Public Schools, one of the top school jobs in the nation, quits overnight because his division leaked information about possible students possibly illegally living here. Common sense should say schools should stay out of it and provide and education for all that walk through the door. Even those who they think will someday shoot up the school, but not as long as the family doesn't have guns.

So the bottom line is the schools do not want to work with law enforcement.

You cannot have it both ways. Not in today's America.

So nothing will happen and it's the country getting fucked by the situation we created for ourselves.

We're fucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted