1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

That's more reasonable. I'll respectfully disagree. Yes Panama got there. The US did not. Kind of think this shows Panama's talent level. They are being embarrassed.
    Not rooting against them, not taking any joy in that. Used to work with a guy who grew up in Panama and he said the US has better players.

Just saying the US should be sick because they are a better team. Pulisic is better than anyone on Panama. Looking at how many US players are good
    enough to play in Europe shows the talent level. Also think firing Klinsmann shows the team was definitely under-performing.

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The talent level thing is a little much. See my post on past World Cup successes, which people across the board tend to forget in this type of debate. But I know it's an American we didn't win so we suck mentality. Also, I am fully aware that the group set up as was was likely not going to succeed at this WC if they had gotten in. And if they had gotten in there wouldn't have been any wholesale changes so even more chance to likely be a quick and not great exit. A youth movement, as shown some potential with some of the friendlies including a draw with France gives hope. We'll see. As it is, no Panama and the U.S. aren't close in ability. The 4-0 win with that group proves that. But yes, the U.S. crapped the bed overall. I don't think it's a debate and probably time to move on.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, but most of that US team that had once played in Europe has comfortably retired to MLS. Of the starting 11 in their final qualifier, only 3 are in Europe.

Pulisic is terrific. Beyond that...

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If the US really wasn't as good as Panama or Costa Rica, soccer fans here wouldn't have been so mad that the team failed to qualify. And I agree with Roscablo that a wholesale turnover of the roster was due whether they made it or not.

5. cjericho

Obviously he is done now for the next WC, but should Michael Bradley have been replaced during qualifying? Root for him
    because he is a NJ guy and his uncle is a real good guy and good coach and former Yankee. He was a good player and in the
    game against Jamaica last summer he looked like could still play. Didn't watch all of the WC qualifiers, but seems he is one of
    those who will be replaced by a younger guy.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Not to keep dragging this out, but the US lost to Costa Rica twice in the final round of qualifying -- 4-0 in Costa Rica, 2-0 in New Jersey.

But yes, a wholesale turnover of the roster was badly needed.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Costa Rica are a better team right now than the US. I think most observers would agree. They have Keylor Navas, for starters.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

He has not tweeted since his Trump-trolling tweet after the first Mexico game.

10. cjericho

BTE's comrades must be all over Streak For The Cash, 82.9% picking Russia as of 912 EDT.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I will ride or die with either Die Mannschaft or the Three Lions. At least my interest isn’t split 3 ways this time.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bradley was not the problem. He’s not Vieria of Keane, but he does quality work. The problem is that we have not integrated our younger players into the mix. And Arena was not the guy to do that late in the qualifying process.

Draft saved Draft deleted